• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker DITA Basics

New Here ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I've been working with unstructured FM templates. I'm using FM11. I plan to move to structured authoring. I downloaded DEVELOPING STRUCTURED APPLICATIONS WITH ADOBEĀ® FRAMEMAKERĀ® 9 from Adobe website and working on creating a basic structured template. I had already worked on an xml based authoring tools (not FM) in my previous company and I know how my structured template is going to work.

Now my question is about the DITA tab in FM application. It looks like there already are templates for topics and concepts and there is also a map using which I can create a PDF of my documents. How does it differ from the structured template I am going to create?

Please also suggest me of any online tutorials or training materials available on FM DITA at a beginner's level.

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

technically speaking DITA is just another structured template, just as yours.

Historically DITA was (more or less) developed for software documentation. This is something that is still very present in DITA 1.1

With DITA 1.2, there has been a shift towards more fields of use (which could be done earlier through specialization of DITA).

It is an industry standard, just like S1000D and delivers a full-blown structure for your documentation.

You could use it outright as is, but doing so, you will soon enough figure out that this won't meet your expectations.

The use of DITA shouldn't be done lightheartedly. You'll need to see, if DITA works for you or not (also in regard of the limitations of FM11) - before you get involved head over heels.

To get a glimpse, there's this presentation: http://www.treelight.com/dita/When_is_DITA_Right_for_You.pdf

Hope this helps you a bit around.

Cheers Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have started with DITA in FrameMaker (Relase 2019), am tryig to create a Topic Template for my userguide.

i need to insert section heading with numbers [1.1 , 1.2 etc]like below, how to achieve it in DITA topic template

1.1 <Heading>

<description>

1.2 <Heading>

1.2.1 <heading>

<description>

<paragraph>

1.2.2 <heading>

<description>

<figure>

<paragraph>

I see section tag, but i dont see any section numbering tag. Any immediate reply would be much helpful

Thanks,

Geetha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure if you have noticed it, but you were replying to a thread from 2013 šŸ˜‰

Maybe you want to start a new thread instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines