• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker not responding when navigating within a document

New Here ,
Dec 05, 2018 Dec 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to a new windows 10 laptop. I have Framemaker 13 installed. When I attempt to navigate within a document, the program freezes and can be unresponsive for 20 minutes or more. There is almost no CPU usage when it is not responding, though my laptop fan goes into high gear when FrameMaker freezes. It is basically unusable and I am at a standstill. FrameMaker worked fine on my older 6 year old laptop.

I've tried hiding graphics, renaming the preferences folder, installed all updates. Please give me some ideas.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support for Windows 10 was introduced with Update 1 for FrameMaker (2015 release), see here.

Can you give us the full version number of your FrameMaker installation (> Help > About FrameMaker)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version number is 13.0.2.433

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't have FM2015 to check the version, but if Help > Updates isn't fetching any new ones & you've checked the Adobe software and product updates page for any more, I would check out what's happening on the machine. Is it happening on all docs you deal with? What about a brand new one based on one of the factory templates? Where are the docs located? Any source control involved?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only use Framemaker for one document, a user guide which is located on my machine. The problem occurs when I try to scroll down the document, sometimes I can scroll down a few pages then it freezes and becomes unresponsive. The factory templates available to me are not multi page documents so I would not reproduce the issue with those anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just use a lorsum ipsum nonsense text generator to dummy up some text that goes on & on for several pages. See if it misbehaves - if it works fine, then it's got to be something in your docs that's choking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't seem to have trouble with a text only document. The graphics may be causing the freezing but it is not something that happened with my Windows 7 laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Images being imported by reference or copied into the doc? If by ref, are they local to the docs or on some other network drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The graphics are imported and also stored on my local machine, they are not on some other network drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you've tried turning them off? IIRC it was in the View > Options settings to turn on/off the display of graphics to speed things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned off graphics and have not frozen while scrolling down my document. This isn't a useful fix though since I need to be able to see the graphics. I am constantly updating and adding graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there's a keyboard shortcut to toggle them on/off, but I would imagine there's not too much need to turn them on if you're just adding more - I can't give you much more help since I hardly use any graphics in my docs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you're running FM2015 & the newest shiny version is FM2019 - so you could give the trial a spin with a copy of your docs - on a different machine - to see how the 64 bit version handles your honkin' graphic sizes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If as Stefan says the application does not support Windows 10, it is possible to run it in Windows 7 compabitible mode.

You can google Set compatibility mode in Windows 10

but what you can try to do, is to right click the application and select properties.

Click the compatibility tab

In compatibility mode choose to Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7

It is possible that Admin rights will be required for this

this might help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not say that the application does not support Windows 10 😉

jmw707​ mentioned FrameMaker 13, which is FrameMaker 2015 release. Support for Windows 10 was introduced with Update 1 for FrameMaker 2015 (internal version 13.0.1).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any graphics? I've noticed that with my installation (Frame 2019, Windows 7) there are a few graphics where Frame will stop dead for a few minutes before allowing me to continue. A few times it's locked the entire machine up and I had to do a hard reboot. I'm in the process of troubleshooting this with our IT support, but as the saying goes, "The problem with trouble-shooting is that trouble shoots back."

(Note: with the exception of the watermark and the company logo, all graphics are imported by reference.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a lot of high DPI graphics (screenshots of the software) - I maintain a user guide that is printable and also imported into Robohelp. The graphics could definitely be the problem. I created a new document with text only and I'm not having trouble with that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Esc+vv toggles graphics display.

If you have additional insets, Esc+vip will toggle their display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines