• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How best to inform FrameMaker that a file imported by reference has moved?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I inherited a large document with lots of files imported by reference. The image folder is a mishmash of old unused images and new images. Some of the images change with each revision of the product. I'm experimenting with getting rid of unused images and organizing used images into folders according to  product version. Doing so breaks the file references in FrameMaker. I see no easy (quick) way to get FrameMaker to use the new path to the file. I can replace an existing file with a new image that has the same file name, but if I move the file, the only thing to do seems to be to delete the image in the doc and re-import the file from the new location. I've used authoring platforms that will track files and maintain the file references. Frame apparently cannot.

Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'd expect is this: a document references a graphic in directory A; you tidily move the graphic to directory B; next time you open the document, FrameMaker says it can't find the graphic and asks you to specify a directory.

referencedGraphics.png

You navigate to the new directory – note that FM still knows the filename – and tell FM to use directory B; every time it comes across a reference to a graphic that used to be in directory A, it updates it to directory B. As far as I remember (having performed similar tidy-ups in the past) this even works at book level: correct the referenced directory in the first component file in the book and the update is propagated.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is the process I've had to use. But with a large doc with many illustrations, it gets to be crushingly tedious.

I've used other authoring platforms that were smart enough to know when files have been moved (as long as you do within a session). But these platforms featured both the editing facility as well as an integrated source control. Frame just isn't build that way. What it is.....   Eventually I'll get things cleaned up, and everything in it's place.
Thank you for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried File > Package?

FrameMaker 2015: Packager | Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2015 | Adobe TV

It makes a copy of the book, along with its assets. Only the images that are referenced are included, and so that might be an easy way to untangle the old unused images from ones currently included. A limitation to consider is that all assets must be in the same folder or its subfolders. Any files outside the folder are treated as missing files and are not copied in the zip file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm still a bit surprised you've had to do this repeatedly; sounds as though your inherited files must have been pointing to a lot of directories.

As for sorting used / unused graphics, I've sometimes done the same exercise with a List of References saved as .mif, a filelist and (built from those two) a .bat file. Not everyone's idea of fun, I concede ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines