Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to convert one paragraph style to another across multiple documents

Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is thare a way to globally change one paraagraph style to another paragraph style across several docs that does not involve a script?

I have used Global update, but it is slow and tedious.

My current method:

1. 1. Create the paragraph tags that I need to change to and save them as a separate document.
  2. 2. Import those paragraphs styles into the document I want to change.
  3. 3. In the Paragraph Designer, select the style I want to change TO. In the same window, select Global Update Options select "All Properties" (in the "Use Properties in the Paragraph Designer") and in the "Update Paragraph Formats" select "All Tagged:" and the paragraph style I want to change FROM.

Is there a quicker way to do this?

Thanks,

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2020 Jul 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all the files are collected into a book, yes. You can do a search and replace for the paragraph tag you want replaced.

1. Click Edit > Find/Change.
  2. In the Find drop-down, select Paragraph Tag and type in the name of the tag you are changing FROM.
  3. Click Find, and at the first instance of the old tag, apply the tag you want to change TO.
  4. Click Edit > Copy Special > Paragraph Format.
  5. In the Change drop-down, select By Pasting, make sure Book is selected, and then click Change All.

Edited to add: If you have to do this with a whole lot of tags and/or books, investing in Rick Quatro's FindChangeFormats Batch script is worthwhile. It saves a lot of time and you have the option of deleting the old tag from the catalog as you go, which is a nice bit of housekeeping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies for taking so long to reply...

Thanks for the suggestions.

I would be inclined to go with the script, but my client does not want to go that way. It's not entirely clear that all of these would be in a book, or even in the same folder. Doing them individuallly is certinly the most painful way to go about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you can do is create a book of your own that has all the files in it you want to update. A book is just a container of pointers, after all, and as long as there's a path to get to the individual files, you can just collect them in one place. You may have to do individual Skip all the missing graphics messages when you open all the files, if you import by reference rather than copy, but that's not really a big deal, just tedious.

You will still have to delete the old formats by hand, and you'll also have to create a file with the new formats to import them before you do the Find/Replace.

As for the script: it's like, $39. It will save them HOURS of your billing them to do this individually. And it only works within FM, so it's not as if you'd be introducing a virus or something. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have to do all the work, as it's a document control thing. I am merely creating the templates and present the available choices to get the job done.

I did precisely what you outlined to get a first-hand idea of what was involved and the oh-my-god factor is pretty high. 

$39 is pretty cheap to avoid a whole lot of pain, but it's not my choice to make.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I love the oh-my-god factor. I have to get that into regular use in my vocabulary.

Yeah, if it's them doing it and they don't care that they are seriously wasting their employees' time, there's not much you can do about it.

But, dang it, they could get a site license for only $169 so that anyone who needs to do this could use it, AND they could do it on a file by file basis if they're worried about document control. It would still be faster and less mistake-prone. I hate inefficiencies like this, they only introduce error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines