• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing PSD format graphics into Frame scaling issue

New Here ,
Mar 30, 2018 Mar 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have resized a photo in Photoshop down from 34" x 34" 72 dpi to the size I need 146 pt x 146 pt 300 dpi, and saved it as a PSD format to import into Frame 2015. When I import it into Frame, it is reducing it to 24%, even though the Width and Height show 146 pt x 146 pt, dpi shows 300.

I have had this issue before and I have not been able to figure out why it does this.

Hopefully someone has had this same issue and knows how to fix it.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on your numbers, you should have an image that is about 1/2" wide/tall in FrameMaker.

Is that what you're seeing on the page? If not, can you provide a screenshot?

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the poster had points listed as the units, not pixels. So it

should be around 2" wide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks!

And that's probably the confusion here...If the image is 600 px wide, it'll be two inches wide at 100% when specifying 300 ppi

Gary, can you check the pixel count in the original file and see if that clears up the options for when you import?

If you still have questions, try posting a shot of the imported file so we can see what's hanging up the process.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary:

I can recreate this in Fm 2015 and 2017, but when I print the image, it measures 146 pts with my points ruler, or just barely over 2 inches.

I have no idea why is FrameMaker is displaying 24% scaling, but it isn't actually scaling the image.

I think printing and measuring will make you feel better. You can report this here: Tracker.

~Barb

Screenshot 2018-03-30 19.09.32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of drifting the thread, is there any particular advantage to importing .psd (other than not needing to save-as to something else first)?

I've never imported PSD, preferring instead to use more portable intermediary formats like .eps or .tif (and nowadays perhaps .pdf).

PSD can contain a wide variety of data structures that I wouldn't necessarily expect FM to know how to handle, like 48-bit color, layers with masks, transparency, text, alpha channels, clipping paths, etc. In the context of the thread, where some feature isn't supported, what does the misbehavior look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bob:

I’ve been importing .PSDs since Fm 11 with no issues, but I keep the files destined for FrameMaker relatively simple—8 bit and no clipping paths or other efforts at achieving transparency.

The advantage is that when I get a correction to an image I can open the layered .PSD, make the necessary adjustments, save it and Fm picks up the edits without any additional steps. I’m all about efficiency. These docs get too darn long to work any other way.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines