• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Text Insets with xrefs requires multiple attempts (FM2017)

Participant ,
Jul 10, 2017 Jul 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a lot of text insets - insert them into a single file and then getting them to xrefs takes several attempts and then ends up creating multiple xrefs which I would like to remove from the doc. Other than saving as a MIF and cleaning the duplicate tags out, what other options are available?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2017 Jul 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you making the x-refs TO the text insets or FROM the text insets? FM is designed to only use x-refs TO the text inset. You insert an x-ref marker in the text inset original document, then from the documents that need to get an x-ref to that inset, use the marker option (instead of the paratag) in the x-ref window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have a TOC that uses x-refs to the header in the text inset. But sometimes, FM doesn't see the marker after you update the x-refs and you have to delete the text inset and re-add it. If I open the text inset and remove the x-ref marker and re-add it, I end up with multiple markers with the same text. Also, when I remove the text inset and re-add it, then update the references, my paragraph spacers change to Heading2 - it's all very weird. I think I'm going to go back to 2015 - FM 2017 has too many weird behaviors and bugs to be useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you go provide a bit more details on how you are doing this. It sounds a bit odd, especially if you say that removing and re-adding the marker creates multiple versions. Also, a text inset imported by reference doesn't need to be deleted. It will always re-import the latest version if you close and re-open the FM document.

Have applied the patches (two so far) to FM2017?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines