• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting Degree (o) Symbol

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2008 Mar 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using FrameMaker 7.1 and in one paragraph of my text I have included the degree symbol. However, this affects the spacing between the row directly above this sentence and as such looks like there's an extra blank row. How do i fix this so that the symbol doesn't affect the spacing above.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Avril Roberts

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 07, 2008 Mar 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put your cursor in the para. In the paragraph designer, on the Basic tab, check the Fixed line spacing checkbox.

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2008 Mar 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Art's fix is a good one (I use it all the time in paragraphs that include superscripts or subscripts), but I haven't been observing any spacing issues to begin with when I insert the degree symbol. Maybe it's dependent on typeface (we use Times New Roman for body text in my shop), but maybe not: Are you using a proper degree symbol, or are you superscripting a lowercase o (a common trick among authors whose work I edit)?

FWIW, you can insert the degree symbol by typing
i <control>-q <shift>-1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2008 Mar 18, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

... or type 0176 while holding the Alt key down (Alt + 0176).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one more to add to Dennis's tip about using the Alt key -- be sure to have the NumLock ON when using Alt key numbers (at least in Windows).

[As some of the grizzled veterans of the FM forii will recall, the issue of NumLock ON proved to be the answer in one of the most hilariously confusing threads many, many moons and lifetimes ago.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Sheila

"Many month and lifetimes ago", still applies today when anything goes wrong.

Think of how you will enter the degree sign into a field in a dialogbox e.g.

It is not always (IMHO) that all the new stuff of buttons and shortcuts is an improvement. They are most likely entered into products because some high ranking official or important enduser (with a lot of money and user licenses) have been complaining (out of lack of knowledge). Who ever said training helps!

keep smiling
thomas

keep smiling
thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines