• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there an extendscript to find text overflow in a table cell

Explorer ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My process includes (80+ pages of table content)

1. import the data from excel to FM with rich text format to get as a table format.

2. Apply proper para formating and table row sizing etc.

3. Run through all the pages to check any text overlow in any cell.

4. Copy the overflowed text and paste it as a new row below and remove the overflowed text from the current row.

If there's a script to find way for step 3&4 would be much appreciated..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The way to know if a cell has overflowed is with cell.Overflowed. There is a discussion on that here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/framemaker/finding-cell-overflow-in-table-problem-with-script/m-p/766...

However, to know how much text has overflowed seems very difficult. It seems you would have to cut/delete in increments until Overflowed becomes false. If there is a better way, I don't know what it is.

Hope this helps some.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Russ for guiding to the similar thread. at least i can use the code for final check.

however, it would be great if it take to the page or row where the overflow takes place. any idea of how to do it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Russ, would the confrm command be used in place of alert?

confirm (message[,noAsDflt ,title ]);

Can we define what to do for yes or no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, your questions are difficult to understand. It seems you may need to spend more time with the basics of scripting before we can effectively help you here.

The script in the other thread does what you asked... searches the entire document for overflow cells.

Regarding confirm(), it is a boolean return. If you click Yes, it returns 1 (true). Otherwise 0 (false). It is then your decision what to do with the answer.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies Russ for not making myself clear. Yes am not even an amatuer when comes to scripting. i am trying to get hold of the basics of scripting.

The script in the other thread works perfect, yes. But, the document i have at least have 200 rows of table and flows upto 80+ pages. so just with script i can use it to make sure if there is none. But when i have one/few, it would be great if the script took to the row or the page where the overflow happens, thus i can fix them or at least if i get an instances count, i would know on how many places i needed to fix.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you please help me with, the script takes to the cell or page where the text overflow in the cell takes please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines