• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Location of context-sensitive Responsive HTML5 Help header file

Participant ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a trial version of FrameMaker 2017. It appears that WebHelp, which I was using for context-sensitive help in FrameMaker 2015 did not make the cut. I want to create the same context-sensitive Help project using FrameMaker 2017's Responsive HTML5 Help publisher but can't find the Header file (.h). I want to use the same mapping as I did in the 2015 version.

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does one get created in that weird spot where the generation takes place? Like \users\FMOutput\ or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched my entire C drive but found header files for HTML Help only. Perhaps Responsive HTML Help uses a different system for context-sensitive Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe FM-published HTML5 help is missing that bit - I know that RH-generated Responsive HTML5 still can be called that way according to Willam van Weeldon's site - https://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/context-sensitivity-responsive-and-multiscreen-html5  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying desperately not to have to use RoboHelp. So, I did some more digging, and found that I had overlooked this paragraph in the FrameMaker 2017 Help:

"Creating and using a Context-sensitive Help map file

You apply CSH markers to specify context specific help location in your FrameMaker document.

Next, you need to create a Help map file (with a .h extension). Your application developers use the

map file to hook the specific parts of the application (for example, dialog boxes or menu items) to the

corresponding help topics.

1) Add the CSH markers in the FrameMaker source.

2) Create a text file in any text editor and name the file as: <source book or document name>.h

3) Place the map file in the FrameMaker source folder.

4) For each CSH marker that you apply in your document, you need to create one line item in the map file as follows:

#define <map ID> <map number>"

What I gather from this is that, unlike the method for WebHelp, you create the Help map file manually and save it in the FrameMaker SOURCE file folder. Then, when Publisher generates Help, it uses the map file in that folder and "applies" the map IDs. After I created the .h file and re-generated the Help, the map IDs turned up in the chs.js file located in the wxdata output folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that's a real pain in the butt - I just checked my latest build today - it's got 2150 lines of #define map_id map_# lines in it. That would be no fun at all to maintain IMHO ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2017 Mar 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed- quite painful. I was able to get a head start by generating Basic HTML and using the .h file it generates automatically. You'll still need to change the map numbers to match your originals however. Still, if you have 2150 context-sensitive topics, you're in for quite a ride.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think I'll stick to the FM to RH workflow for the time being ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke with an Adobe rep yesterday. She wasn't aware that WebHelp support had been dropped in FrameMaker 2017. However it IS supported in RoboHelp 2017. Like you, I'm sticking with what I have for now. That will free me up to try to come up with a work-around for the way tabs are treated (as fixed positions when converted to PDF, and as relative positions when converted to HTML). I use tabs to align parameter names, etc. in multiple rows of code. That works just fine in PDFs but totally misses the purpose in HTML.

I wonder if Adobe is dropping support for Help for desktop apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect WebHelp is eventually going to be supplanted by HTML5 help - as browsers keep changing, they eventually may not support the JavaScript that WebHelp relies on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to get this straight: If I place a TopicAlias marker in my Framemaker 2017 file which I then want to link to my application, I have to manually create a line in this manually created help map file for each marker?

Plus: Where do I even place this file? Which is the "Framemaker source" folder mentioned in the Framemaker help (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2017/using/framemaker_help.pdf#page=247 )?

Background story: I want to generate an HTML help with unstructured Framemaker.

Thanks for your help - it's concerning how little information about this I could find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to keep an eye on this thread too - Re: Context-sensitive help in FrameMaker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@verenag14723070 - the FM source they refer to is your .fm content file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was fast
I was referring to "Place the map file in the FrameMaker source folder." -> Which is where, exactly?

Another thank you for the link to the other thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they mean wherever your FM files are located (as opposed to the output location that the Publish command produces).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For HTML5 see my answer in Thread http://https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2340964?q=context sensitive help

As far as I understand the process there is no need to manually edit any line in .h files. For details follow the link above.

Dieter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines