Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looks like easy! Frame in Reference Page

Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I would like to create a frame on the reference page with a text and every time I used this frame on the body page I would only bring it via the paragraph designer, until this part it's easy to do. But I would like to be able to change the text of this frame every new use.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Would setting this up as a table format (perhaps called Red Headers work here?

That woud allow you to change the text in the heading and footing rows as needed, while automatically appling formatting to the rows.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: But I would like to be able to change the text of this frame every new use.

With each new document, or have the text vary from page-to-page in the same document?
I'm guessing the latter, as it's easy to edit the RefPage once for a new document.

Where do you imagine that you would define/enter the page-specific text?

My first thought was to use an Anchored Frame, that can be hidden by ColorViews, on the Body page, that would contain the page-unique text, using a Paragraph Format that informs a RunningH/F variable, but it doesn't work, because it appears that RunningH/F vars cannot be used in Text Frames inside a Reference Frame on the RefPage — the Variables catalog is not populated with R-H/F vars when on a RefPage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob! thank you, as always helping everyone

What I'm looking for is more closer to shalomb61686619 answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds very similar to attaching a Warning/Caution/Note with user-fillable text. Others can explain better than I how to do  it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: This sounds very similar to attaching a Warning/Caution/Note with user-fillable text.

Back when I was doing that daily, the alert symbol and generic advisory banner (DANGER | WARNING | CAUTION | NOTICE) would be in a static Reference Frame. The Body page paragraph format (of which there needed to be 4 types) would have a Frame_Above that called in the RF specific to the admonishment. The local details were otherwise ordinary body text typed in for each instance (although frequently-used ones could certainly be auto-populated via Variables or Text_Insets).

A limitation of this legacy technique is that
Paragraph Designer » Advanced
only offers FrameAbove and FrameBelow, and not FrameRun-In (L or R)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could make a 2-column 1-row table with one column being the symbol and the other column the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tables work too.

But part of selecting the how-to includes serious consideration of output workflow. Back when it was my day-job, PDF and grayscale print were the only considerations. Nowadays, eBook, HTML & XML have to work as well, and I suspect that both ReferenceFrames and Tables have their own considerations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached are some examples of different techniques.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Creamer!

Let's say that I would like to change the word WARNING every time but keep the red frame. 

Capture1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Let's say that I would like to change the word WARNING every time but keep the red frame.

You might want to first investigate what regulatory/liability standards apply to your industry & topic.

As I recall, in ANSI Z535.1 & IEC 3864, DANGER & WARNING are only used for safety [personal injury] hazards, and not mere economic loss (which might be CAUTION, but is often just NOTICE). Also, ~red is just for Danger. Warning is ~orange. Caution is ~yellow, and Notice is ~blue. The alert symbol [⚠] was also used only for safety hazards. (~indicating that these are not monitor primaries; they have standards-defined colors)

That's another part of why I used to use 4 different Para tags for these admonishments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The point here it's not the warning, dangerous or caution.

I need to create a frame, that I will have to change the content inside it. I would like to do this from a "automatic" way using the frame from reference page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>> I would like to do this from a "automatic" way using the frame from reference page.

It's called Paragraph Styles (or Tags). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bob_Niland Hi Bob (and future readers),

I just wanted to note that my examples were only meant to show Frame techniques, not to be accurate with the warning, caution, or danger standards. They are just samples on how to create them from my classes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David: … my examples were only meant to show Frame techniques, not to be accurate with the …

Roger that.
Any document steward dealing with safety matters needs to be up-to-date on the world standards (not usually open-access), their industry standards, enterprise standards, and often have the enterprise's liability carrier review prior to publication. I haven't needed to deal with any of this for 8 years now, so I am not up to date.

And expect the liability carrier to squawk only if they see something they object to. They typically will not tell you "looks good" … their own liability carrier won't let them.⚠

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would create different reference page graphics--and different paragraph styles or table styles for each category:

• Callout_Warning
  • Callout_Caution
  • Callout_Danger
  • etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As is mentioned in the discussion, this is a standard technique for warnings, where the symbol is pulled in from the reference pages and the text is on the body page. I have seen lots of FM users who never figured out how to use the Sidehead. Well, this is exactly what you should be using. The handling is a bit dependent on whether you are still using unstructured FM (which you should really abandon as we live in the 21st century) or structured FM. In the first case, you will have to enter an empty paragraph that brings in the note icon from the reference page (via Frame Below) and the next paragraph is the text for the note. Make all of your regular paragraphs In Column and make the note icon paragraph in Sidehead. With structured FM, you can create a <note> element that automatically puts an <icon> and a <text> element into your document. And you can work via the EDD to make the icon dependent on the type attribute of the <note>. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2022 Feb 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Would setting this up as a table format (perhaps called Red Headers work here?

That woud allow you to change the text in the heading and footing rows as needed, while automatically appling formatting to the rows.

-Matt Sullivan
FrameMaker Course Creator, Author, Trainer, Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines