Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object Properties - Reference File

Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I have inherited a document which has a lot of images.

Images are embedded as well as referenced to the external files.

My question is, is there a way to get a list of figures which are linked to the external flies

Or the only way to do is one image at a time by using Object Properties dialog box???

The reason, I may have a folder with 100 images but only 50 might be used in the document.

I would like to get rid of the images that are not used, so I can clean things up.

If you have better alternative, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Capture.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

May I add two alternatives to the list of reference?

1. Open the book/file in question and pack the whole book (> File > Package…). This will create a ZIP including only the referenced graphics. However, it does only include graphics if they are in the same folder or in subfolders.
  2. Why not use the Insets pod? It gives you a nice list of all (text/graphic) insets. You can filter it to only show graphics. It distinguishes between linked and embedded graphics and indicates if a graphic is missing or not

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generate a List of References > Imported Graphics for the entire book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I did add a List of Reference > Imported Graphics.

Then I was prompted to update the Book, so I did; however, my List of Reference file is empty.

I can not seem to find any reason but at the same time I have never tried to create List of References, so I do not know!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The empty file seems to imply that no graphics in that particular book were imported by reference (i.e. they're all embedded), assuming that the LOR was properly defined.

Check your LOR setup and also the Generate dialogue to make sure that the LOR is not sitting in the Don't Generate list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Arnis,

I did notice that in this Book I do have few files that are referenced (see image in my 1st post, on top).

Then I added List of Reference file, which is auto-generated. LOR is listed in the Generate list.

Now I do not know what you mean by Properly Defined.

When I added LOR file, it was auto-generated so I did not define any parameters, except added Imported Graphics to the list.

Appreciate your responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the List of Reference set-up. If the Imported Graphics component is NOT in the Include References side, then it is not properly set-up, i.e. you can (inadvertently) specify a blank LOR as shown below.

Empty_LOR.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did set the Reference File properly. So it appears that I have followed your instructions correctly.

I need to go back and recheck my External References and see where the error is.

Besides generating, TOC, LOF, LOT, you can also create List of References. Good to know.

Your response is very well appreciated.

Once again, Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I add two alternatives to the list of reference?

1. Open the book/file in question and pack the whole book (> File > Package…). This will create a ZIP including only the referenced graphics. However, it does only include graphics if they are in the same folder or in subfolders.
  2. Why not use the Insets pod? It gives you a nice list of all (text/graphic) insets. You can filter it to only show graphics. It distinguishes between linked and embedded graphics and indicates if a graphic is missing or not and it shows the whole file path. You can sort by page, path, image type etc.
    FrameMaker-List-of-Insets.png

Cheers,

*Stefan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Stefan,

Insets POD is a good one and easiest for my purpose.

I will have to try Book > File >Package sometime. I think that would be good one which would give me all the necessary files in one package. So I can move it anywhere and it would comprise all the project file.

The method Arnis mention is also good one to get a list of references (which includes Imported Graphics, Unresolved references etc.)

Once again. Appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines