Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

question about table of contents

Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In a FM book I have succeeded to create a Table of Contents, but I see that in the generated TOC the page number (1) is next to the text (see red line in the screenshot).

I would like that FM automatically put the page number like this :

"chapter number .................................................................  page number"

So, I would like FM add automatically the "dots" and put the "page number" at the right. How to do this ?

screenshot0006.jpg

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Hi Pierre:

The generated files have a list of rules that we must follow, written up here:
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-what-to-know-about-working-with-generated-files/

When you learn/follow the rules it's great, but when you don't know/don't follow the rules it's a nightmare.

In your book, you did not follow rule number 4: Paragraph styles are assigned automatically to the generated text, and their names will end with the suffix for the generated file. The required

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Hi Pierre:

You will first need to create a character style called Bold to use Rick's code, or create a character style that will assign bold and call it whatever you like, and assign it to <$paratext> on the TOC/TDM reference page through the Character Catalog. When you update your book, Fm will pick up the bold and assign it to the titles. 

However, your TOC/TDM is set up to include hyperlinks so that if you publish to PDF for example, someone can click anywhere on an entry and hyperlink to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Hi Pierre:

Remember that link I posted to earlier in this thread? 
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-what-to-know-about-working-with-generated-files/

Check out number 8 in the list:

Editing your initial choices. If you made a mistake when you were setting up the generated file, you can right click the file in the book window > Set up XXX, where XXX is equal to the type of generated file you are working with. For example, if you forgot to add a heading level to the TOC, ri

Votes

Translate

Translate

re: Never type on a generated page! If you type on a generated page and then update your book, FrameMaker will remove your edits.

There is an exception on that. Any content above {preceding} the generated content is left unmolested.

For TOC, for example, this would typically be a Heading1.ngn saying Contents.
ngn?
It needs to be an H1 format name that is itself non-generated for list generation purposes, but might be used for page-mapping of TOC-specific Master Pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hi Pierre:

This is correct.

To add SECTION A above some chapter names, and presumably, SECTION B above others—a perfectly reasonable request—Fm needs to pull the words out of the document. You will need to add the words SECTION A someplace before Chapter 1 (or at the top of Chapter 1) and assign it a unique paragraph style so that Fm can pull the words into the TOC/TDM. If you want to add the section heads to the table of contents, but not to the page, you still have to add them to the page,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre,

Is titre2 the name of a paragraph format?

FrameMaker will only include paragraphs of those formats which are set up on the reference page.

Of course you can do this manually, but it's easier to set this up with the dialog in the File menu. I will look up the command later.

Best regards, Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @pierret18811376 ,

you must tell FM to handle that "Titre2" as an entry for your TOC/TDM.

So open your book, right-click on the TOC/TDM entry, click on "Settings for TOC" (or similiar, I have the german version version) and change the settings as needed.

BUT as this whole thread is about basic FM knowledge I think you are not familiar with FM and its behaviour.

So my recommendation is you 1) get a good book as a learning ressource or 2) doing a FM training (online or offline) where all the basics get explained and trained.

This forum is not an online training ressource for beginners, it is for helping with special problems.

We all are happy to assist and help, but it is voluntary and in our spare time.

And some of us are trainers for FM to earn money, so expecting to get a training for free ...

Regards

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The English command in the context menu is: Set Up Table of Contents

You can find this command also in the Edit menu.

Of course everything is also explained in the online help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre:

Remember that link I posted to earlier in this thread? 
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-what-to-know-about-working-with-generated-fil...

Check out number 8 in the list:

Editing your initial choices. If you made a mistake when you were setting up the generated file, you can right click the file in the book window > Set up XXX, where XXX is equal to the type of generated file you are working with. For example, if you forgot to add a heading level to the TOC, right-click the TOC in the book window and choose Set up Table of Contents. Add the missing heading and update your book.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Winfried Reng  Titre2 is corresponding to the Title2.

Hi Barb, Hi all,

Fisrt I right clicked on the TDM and chosen "setup TOC", then selected "Titre2"  :

1.jpg

And here is the result in TOC/TDM reference page (it created a "Titre2TDM" paragraph style for the first "paratext" "pagenum") :

2.jpg

Thank you Barb, and thank you to all for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre:

Great! So now you need to add the tab character to the top line and set the tab stop. Update the style and then update the book! 😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

About the link you gave me concerning the generated files : https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-what-to-know-about-working-with-generated-fil...

I have read again it and found this :

"5. Edits. Never type on a generated page! If you type on a generated page and then update your book, FrameMaker will remove your edits. If you see a typo in a generated file, fix it on the body page and update your book."

So I cannot type in a generated TOC file. But the problem is that it prevent me to write myself this text in the generated TOC file : "SECTION A"   (ie : without pagenum).

Because, FM generate automatically a TOC always with "paratext" and "pagenum". So as you say, in the TOC /TDM, I cannot have this :

"SECTION A

paratext ........................................................................pagenum"

or by example :

"SECTION A

chapter 1 ............................................................. 1

chapter 2 ..............................................................10 "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Never type on a generated page! If you type on a generated page and then update your book, FrameMaker will remove your edits.

There is an exception on that. Any content above {preceding} the generated content is left unmolested.

For TOC, for example, this would typically be a Heading1.ngn saying Contents.
ngn?
It needs to be an H1 format name that is itself non-generated for list generation purposes, but might be used for page-mapping of TOC-specific Master Pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre:

This is correct.

To add SECTION A above some chapter names, and presumably, SECTION B above others—a perfectly reasonable request—Fm needs to pull the words out of the document. You will need to add the words SECTION A someplace before Chapter 1 (or at the top of Chapter 1) and assign it a unique paragraph style so that Fm can pull the words into the TOC/TDM. If you want to add the section heads to the table of contents, but not to the page, you still have to add them to the page, but you can make them white or very small. Or both. That way they won't be visible to the reader on the page, but they will still be available to FrameMaker to call into the TOC/TDM.

Bob is also correct in his reply of course, but he is referring to something you are going to ask us soon—adding a title to the top of the TDM that likely says Table des Matières. This is also addressed on the list, as number 6.

6.png

When are ready to add the title, you will have add it at the very top of the generated text. To be allowed to keep it after you update your book:

1. Table des Matières must be the first paragraph in the flow, and
  2. Its style name cannot end in the suffix for that generated file.

For example, you could name it the French equivalent of Contents, as per Bob or ContentsTitle as per my post, but not ContentsTitleTDM because TDM is the suffix for a table of contents in your French version of FrameMaker. If you add TDM to the end of the style name, Fm will remove it when you update your book.

So many rules!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, Hi Bob,

From what you have said, and also from this online help  : https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-more-on-customizing-a-table-of-contents/

I have done this in TOC/TDM reference page (where I have Title1 and Title2) :

2.jpg

And here is the result on TOC/TDM curent page (where I put a Content title at the top) :

1.jpg

Is it correct for you ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. It looks fantastic. Two questions:

• Does it hold up after you update your book? If it does, then you are good to go.
  • You asked about including Titre2, but I don't see it on the reference or body page. Did you change your mind? Or are you out celebrating your Table of Contents success and will get to it tomorrow? 😉

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

To respond to your questions :

1) About "Titre2TDM" (Title2TOC), you can see it here (see red line) :

Reference page :

FM 1.jpg

Current page :

FM 2.jpg

2) You asked me if all was OK. In fact, I have noticed a strange behaviour in current page : about the "content title" I have put at the top of the page (see red line), I have set this tag with a font size of 36, but on the current page, it does not seem to be a font size of 36, and whatever I choose for the font size, I have always the same size on the screen. Why ?

FM 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre:

So the section heads are now Titre1?

Does Content Title have overrides? Select it and

• Update the Paragraph style, Remove Overrides if asked.
  • Reassign Content Title from the Paragraph Catalog
  • Click on Default ¶ Style at the top of Character Catalog. 

If it still looks too small, you're welcome to send me that one file.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

First I have put paragraph catalog on "courant" (current) and also character catalog on "default".

Then I created a new paragraph style (content title 2) and set it on "bold" and font size "36" and updated this paragraph style. And here is the result (it worked !) :

4.jpg

You are right : "Section" is using "Titre1TDM" (Title1TDM).  And you can notice that I have removed "pagenum" for "Titre1TDM".

Do you think all is OK for you ?

So thank you again Barb. I think I am OK now with Table of Content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2023 Nov 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes! I think it looks great. Nice work. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines