• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Series Labels

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2019 Apr 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some help figuring out how to assign series labels to a group of numbered lists I need.

I previously used the series label H: to Levels 1, 2, 3 & 4

A, B, C,..etc used series label A:

and 1,2,3,...etc used series label B:

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2...etc are connected to the existing lists or would have their own series label.

This is how I want to lay out my document:

1 Level 1

1.1 Level 2

A.

B.

C.

1.1.1 Level 3

1.1.1.1 Level 4

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WJAlison:

I would make them all the same series so that you can reset each nested list automatically.

You could use a different series label, but you'd need 2nd tag to restart the nested lists, or an override.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WJ,

I agree with Barb. Her reply is much more succinct than mine, but details follow.

If I understand your example correctly, I believe you can use the H: numbering series for all of the paragraph formats you've shown. Furthermore, I suspect that the approach I describe below will reduce the number of paragraph formats you need to maintain. It will be much easier to explain the approach if I knew the tags of your paragraph formats. Since I don’t, I will make some up for the sake of the discussion. In particular, the tags I use below are:

Level1: first level section
Level2: second level section
Level3: third level section
Level4: fourth level section
Alpha: lettered paragraphs within sections at any level
Number: numbered paragraphs within sections at any level
TwoPart: paragraphs identified with two-part numbers

I assume you are currently using autonumbers for the first four of these tags that look (ignoring  tabs or spaces) something like:

Level1: H:<n+>
Level2: H:<n>.<n+>
Level3: H:<n>.<n>.<n+>
Level4: H:<n>.<n>.<n>.<n+>

These autonumbers recognize that an autonumber series can refer to several counters. In each autonumber that uses a particular series, each counter can be reset, incremented, or unchanged, and it can be displayed or not. All counters that are not mentioned are reset to 0.

The meaning of the above, therefore is:

Level1: Add 1 to the value of the first counter in the H series and display the result as an Arabic numeral. Reset all other ounters to 0. Since all counters are initially set to 0, the first Level1 paragraph therefore displays as 1.

Level2: Display the unchanged value of the first counter followed by a period, add 1 to the second counter and display it as an Arabic numeral. Reset all other counters to 0. Note that the second counter in the first Level2 paragraph following a Level1 paragraph will have the value 1 because the Level1 paragraph reset the second counter to 0.

Level3: Display the period-separated unchanged values of the first and second counters followed by another period. Then increment the third counter and display it.

Level4: Display the period-separated unchanged values of the first three counters followed by another period. Then increment the fourth counter and display it.

If you use the A: series for the Alpha paragraph, then there is no relationship between its autonumbers and those in the Level paragraphs.

If you want the first Alpha paragraph following a Level paragraph to display the value A, then you need to have two paragraph formats (possible Alpha and AlphaFirst) one of which resets the only used A: counter to A, and one which increments the counter. Thus, Alpha might use the autonumber A:<A+>., meaning increment the counter and display the value as an uppercase letter while AlphaFirst uses A:<A=1>., meaning reset the counter to 1 and display its value as an uppercase letter. By using the H: sequence, though, there is no need to tag the first lettered paragraph after a Level paragraph from the others. I therefore propose:

Alpha: H:< >< >< >< ><A+>.

This autonumber starts with four repetitions of < >. This building block consists of three characters: a space surrounded by angle brackets. It means preserve the value of the counter without displaying it. This autonumber hence means preserve but don’t show the four Level counters, increment the fifth counter and display it as an uppercase letter, and reset all remaining counters. Since this autonumber preserves the counters used by Level paragraphs, the autonumber of Level paragraphs is not affected by the presence of preceding Alpha paragraphs.

The last two paragraphs would use the following autonumbers:

Number: H:< >< >< >< >< ><n+>.
TwoPart: H:< >< >< >< >< ><n>.<n+>

Both of these autonumbers preserve the values of the four Level counters and the Alpha counter without displaying them. Number increments and displays the sixth counter and resets all other counters. The displayed number will therefore always start at 1 immediately after an Alpha paragraph. Finally, TwoPart preserves the first five counters without display, displays the unchanged value of the sixth counter, increments and displays the seventh counter, and resets all following counters.

Hope this helps,
         --Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WJAlison:

My sole addition to Lynne's excellent description is to note that you might already be using <$chapnum> for the Level 1 counter—because presumably that level represents the chapter number—and that is fine. (The way you asked the question, it sounded to me like you already have a fairly solid grasp of numbering in Fm.)

Either way works, but when you get to setting up Numbering Properties for the book, you would need to set Paragraph tab to Continue From Previous Chapter in Book (as opposed to the same setting in Chapter tab) if you use <n+> as the chapter counter.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Barb and Lynne for your help.

Yes I do have the <$chapnum> for Level 1. I actually had everything previously set up and working fine, however yesterday I decided to add the second series of 1.1, 1.2, 2.1, 2.2..etc. which is what started causing me problems.

I will try your suggestions and report back if there are any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines