• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table caption numbers off

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My table caption numbering is all correct except for 1 number. I am using 2 styles. Table Caption Start - T:table\ <n=1>: (so it doesn't start with zero) and then Table Caption - T:table\ <n>: The table caption after  number 4 is 6 instead of 5.

I have checked the numbering at the file and book level and they match

I have auto-numbering on

Let me know if you need more information

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Hi,

Are there any paragraphs between 4 and 6?

Does paragraph 6 have the exact same defined paragraph numbering as the preceeding paragraphs?

You should not need a special paragraph for number 1.

When your first file in your book has set "Restart Paragraph Numbering" in Format | Document | Numbering, then all counters are reset.

Only when you want to reset only the table counter in the following files and continue all other counters, then you need a special paragraph to reset the table counte

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Table Caption - T:table\ <n>:

Is that actually?
Table Caption - T:table\ <n+>:

<n> wouldn't even increment.

Anyway, are the tables anchored in normal Flow A, or elsewhere, such as in Anchored Frames?

I'd be looking for unexpected instances of Table Caption. Click in the first instance and Find Next 6 times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2021 Dec 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another usual suspect for phantom increments is some rogue (non-table) paragraph format using the same Series Label (T: here).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Are there any paragraphs between 4 and 6?

Does paragraph 6 have the exact same defined paragraph numbering as the preceeding paragraphs?

You should not need a special paragraph for number 1.

When your first file in your book has set "Restart Paragraph Numbering" in Format | Document | Numbering, then all counters are reset.

Only when you want to reset only the table counter in the following files and continue all other counters, then you need a special paragraph to reset the table counter.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Winfried. Your suggestion fixed the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a note... As mentioned, assuming you are not restarting table numbering within the same document, you don't need a n=1 style. Every list label starts at zero by default, so an n+ will display a 1 the first time used. 

Also, I'm not sure if your table caption is the same as the table title, but table titles use the label T:. It possible they styles could be conflicting.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bob noted, you'll have odd behavior if your tables are in anchored frames (including "nested tables")

If not, Winfried's response will get it solved for you; check every paragraph between Table 4 and Table 6. One of them will be using a numbering format that increments your T: series

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines