Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Table continuation not working

Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I am trying to get the table title to appear on the following pages in a table. The table title is marked as Table Title, the first row of the table is entered as a Table Head, and the rows are labelled as Table Body. I have tried using View -> Panels -> Variables and selecting the Table Continuation entry, but when I place the cursor in the Table Title, the 'To insert a table variable, put the insertion point in a table's title, heading or footing' appears, and nothing happens.  When I placed the cursor in the Table Head and tried to add a table continuation, the continuation was added to the table head and not the table title. 

What am I doing wrong??

Thank you for any help.

Cheers,

Elizabeth 

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Hi Elizabeth:

It looks to me like your title is in the paragraph above the table—it's not part of the table. We talked last week about adding a table title automatically to your table style in Table Designer. Perhaps go back and reread that thread and add the table title in. Then drag your text into that frame and reassign the TableTitle style. Then follow my instructions from this post. 

If you look at my screen shot, you can see that ASSETS is in the table frame. If you choose not to take

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The usual culprit is that what appears to be a Table Heading row is actually a Table Body row with heading-style paragraph formats.

If there's an easy way to discover whether a row is a header, body or footer, I've forgotten it.

But the fix is:
Table » Add Rows or Columns
⦿ Add [1] Rows(s): [▼ To Table Header]
Copy the header text up, and delete the former "header" row.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select a row and look at the status area at the lower left of the document window. It should tell you what kind of row is selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elizabeth:

Remind us which version of FrameMaker you are using? Recent versions make this super easy—click in the table and choose Table > Table Variables > Table Continuation. You can add this variable anywhere, but it goes at the end of the Table Title (as per your question last week) automatically.

Note the tiny square u at the end of the title on page one. Continued appears on the second and subsequent page. (It's in all caps because of my table title style. Normally it is capitalized.)

Barb

2023-02-06_19-29-07.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

The version I'm using is 16.0.5.1096.

I don't seem to see the same things as you mentioned in your post. Please find a screenshot attached of the table I'm working on.

Thank you.

Elizabeth 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Elizabeth:

It looks to me like your title is in the paragraph above the table—it's not part of the table. We talked last week about adding a table title automatically to your table style in Table Designer. Perhaps go back and reread that thread and add the table title in. Then drag your text into that frame and reassign the TableTitle style. Then follow my instructions from this post. 

If you look at my screen shot, you can see that ASSETS is in the table frame. If you choose not to take this path, you will not get the repeating title on second and subsequent pages. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I went through the previous comments and retried it, and it worked!

Thanks again! 

Elizabeth 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines