Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Toolbars and Tools Palette show color AND grey Icons

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running FMv12 on Win7.

1. Both sets of icons are trying to show. However, Toolbars are cut off so only left several icons show, and remaining toolbar is blank all the way to right side of program window. Toolbar separators are shown all the way across, but segments are empty.
  2. At same time, Tools Palette, docked to left side of screen, shows dual set of icons also, but they are jumbled. That is, they are not neatly arranged in two columns, and color or grey set is trying to display on top of the other, slightly offset. As if trying to display two sets of two columns, but overlapped.
  3. * All above display correctly when FM first starts. Then, when User hovers something to use it, before he clicks, the screen changes as if tooltip timing, going to fail mode described above.  Recovery requires restarting FM.
  4. Also, document zoom, and other controls at bottom, are invisible until mouse hover. User has to hunt to find, and then with hover, controls appear as if tooltip; and then click works normal. Different from 3 above, these controls do not show at FM start/document open.

What we've tried:

Screen/Display Resolution. Tested high and low settings.

Undocking toolbars, palette, and document window. No effect.

Different combinations of Color/Grey and Large/Normal icon settings in preferences. Settings take affect correctly, but above symptoms still present.

Any help, please?

Dave

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like either some other application is messing with screen display or Workspace files are corrupt. Is this happening for all Workspaces and on all machines? Try resetting to the default Workspaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue is at only one of six workstations.

So, I had the user reset the current workspace; changed to another workspace, and then customized and saved one. At each change, not knowing any better, I closed and restarted FM.  No Fix.

For kicks, I copied the entire Workspaces directory from AppData on a good pc, replacing the entire folder on broken pc. I did not try .cfg files from fminit.  No Fix.

Not that I expected otherwise, but FrameMaker v10, on same pc, works fine, as it always has. I don't know if it even provides all the GUI customizing we are troubleshooting here. But I checked just for the warm fuzzy of it.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something is definitely hosed on that one workstation.

The "master" workspace files are located in the \fminit\Workspaces folder of the FM installation location. Doing a "reset" of the Workspaces just copies those files to the Workspace folder in the user AppData location. Since you copied from a known working location from another machine, I suspect that the FM installation may have gotten corrupted. I would suggest trying a re-install of FM at this point.

If you continue to have the same issues after that, then it probably could be another application( or a graphic driver issue - check for updates) like a screen capture program that's messing with FM. Any other apps on this workstation misbehaving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2015 Jan 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[bump/update]

*Still no fix.

*Answering your last question, no other Apps are acting up. We did shut down SnagIt by TechSmith that was running in SysTray Program Icons. But other Screen Grab Apps, such as Windows Snip Tool, are not running, that we can tell looking at Task Mngr Apps & Processes. But you know how long that processes list can be. And I have no clue about what most of them are. But nothing stands out, even looking at the Description Column.

*So here is what we've tried. I would not know if all this writing may be overkill here in the forums. Someone feel free to say if it is. . . .

User's IT ran windows updates and company/desktop updates to give Drivers a chance to be the problem.

Then they uninstalled and reinstalled FMv12.

In User's AppData maker.ini, I deleted MakerWin and ConsoleWin window position lines, forcing FM to rewrite them.

I replaced his fmtoolbar.xml and fmtoolbar_review.xml files with mine.

*Here is what we will try next.

They will uninstall FMv10, and then reinstall v12 again. I do not expect there are issues between these two versions of FM. Originally, I understood other users there have v10 installed -- but now I find out, only on a second pc!

So they are also planning to put v12 on a separate pc for this user to see if it runs there.

[Interestingly, speaking of interaction between versions: At my own workstation, I had v7 and v9 working. After installing v12, I could not get v9 to start. It began crashing during load. It was intended only for testing a while back, so I simply removed it and all is well; with v7 and v12 installed on this pc.]

I am considering using my menus_xxx.cfg files next. His have significantly different dates that maybe FM is looking at, but cant hurt to try, even though the issue is with Toolbars and not Menus. Unless there is .cfg files for Toolbars.

Anyway, there is an update. While I realize all these details are a ton of reading, I knew you would at least be curious as to status or outcome.

Regards,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines