• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variable for adding file name of imported images?

Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi--I create parts manuals with imported graphics on each page. To make my proofing/editing work easier, I'm trying to find a way to display the names of these graphics on each page. I thought a user-defined variable added to the master page footer might work, but I haven't been able to find any examples of how to construct such a variable. I do know how to generate a list of all references--my question is about whether or not it is possible to display the names of the references on the page where they are actually located.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Thank you! 

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think You can't do that with a variable. A variable has a fixed contents and it is placed on a master page very body pages shows the same text...

A script could do this:

• Run through all anchored frames and check for the name of the imported (by reference!) 
  • Either overlay the graphic in a corner with a text line containing that path/name (see the bottom right corner of the graphic at https://www.daube.ch/docu/fmaker82.html
  • Or add a paragraph after the anchored frame with this information.
  • Or insert a footnote with that information (referenced directly after the anchor of the frame)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as though the scripting method would work perfectly. Unfortunately, I have no experience with writing scripts. Do you happen to know where I might be able to find a downloadable script that overlays the graphic with a text line as you showed me in your example?  I'd really appreciate it if you can point me in that direction.  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't have an off-the-shelf solution, but if you contact me offlist, I can provide you an estimate for writing one for you. rick at frameexpert dot com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sue:

One more idea: this is a similar concept to a List of Effective Pages, but you are inputting graphic names in the running heads instead of dates. You could accomplish this by adding a template frame to the master page (you can add content on body pages to template frames but not to background frames), defining a new flow and disabling auto-connect. Then you can add your graphic names directly to the body pages (no variables required).

Here is a link to how to create an LEP, which may help you gain an understanding of how to set it up.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-how-to-create-a-list-of-effective-pages/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An option might be to create a generated LOR of imported graphics. Under each graphic in the document you can insert a cross reference to the filename in the generated list. It is not really a completely automated solution though.

Bjørn Smalbro - FrameMaker.dk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines