Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can a script execute another script?

Advocate ,
Aug 14, 2011 Aug 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear colleagues,

I am not talking about calling a function from another file for which I used the #include directive. I want to execute a .jsx that I know only at runtime.

Until now I have found this: If a script file contains

#target framemaker

it is possible to use File(lvFilename).execute() (without the target instruction the script would simply open in ESTK).

But: The execute() method triggers a warning that I should execute only scripts from trustworthy sources (or so…).

Is there any other method to execute other scripts? Or is there a way to make my scripts trustworthy?

- Michael

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Michael, here's another eval() idea:

var scriptFile = File('/c/Projects/ExtendScript/Alert.jsx');
var script = '#include' + scriptFile.fullName;

eval(script);

I've tried this and it handles nested #includes and $.fileName. I can't be sure that it would work in every situation however. I feel that there must be a more elegant way...

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

You could use the eval() method to do what you need. Here's a simple example that pops up an alert from the Alert.jsx file.

var script;

scriptFile.open('r');
script = scriptFile.read();
scriptFile.close();

eval(script);

Caution: some say that eval() is evil, use with care.

regards

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 15, 2011 Aug 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian,

Thanks a lot for the idea with eval(), but removing the script content from its original location disables features like #include or $.fileName, unless I do some ugly workarounds there.

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

#include will work with eval() if you use an absolute file path. The best way to do that is to prepend an #includepath directive to the string that is passed to eval();

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, here's another eval() idea:

var script = '#include' + scriptFile.fullName;

eval(script);

I've tried this and it handles nested #includes and $.fileName. I can't be sure that it would work in every situation however. I feel that there must be a more elegant way...

Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

this should also work like this:

CallClient("ScriptingSupport", "[YourPath]\[YourFile].jsx");

I haven't tried it with ES, but in FDK it works well, so I think, it also works with ES in that way.

bye

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am 14.08.2011 um 20:38 schrieb Wiedenmaier:

this should also work like this:

CallClient("ScriptingSupport", "[YourPath]\[YourFile].jsx");

I haven't tried it with ES, but in FDK it works well, so I think, it also works with ES in that way.

Markus, this looks far better than eval() but unfortunately it does not work.

Well, it would be a recursive call, ScriptingSupport calling itself, which is something different from any other client calling a script.

- Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reviving an old thread, as the answers so far did not solve my current related problem.

I have tried to use both methods ( the CallClient suggested by Markus and the 'eval' suggested by Ian ) but in this case they do not seem to work. I am wondering if there is any option at all:

I have a binary script file (jsxbin) to execute from another script. CallClient does not seem to do anything at all and the 'eval' method clearly expects a jsx file, as it gives me an unspecified syntax error when trying to run a jsxbin file. I am using the jsxbin file as that takes care of all the nasty include file hassle and is a self-contained executable. The problem is that I need to run it from another executable script file and the script to be executed is only known at runtime (as in the problem Michael originally indicated).

Any suggestions ? Anyone at Adobe who knows whether this would work at all ?

Jang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 10, 2014 Aug 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jang,

CallClient doesn't work from ExtendScript to ExtendScript, as there is the same FDK Client used for executing different scripts. CallClient works only from one FDK Client to another.

So if you want to use CallClient, you need your own small FDK Client, which controls the external script and your script.

AFAIK it's not possible to use eval for jsxbin files.

If the external jsxbin has a command created to execute that function, you can crawl for the command name and execute it with the fcode.

Hope this helps

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

for me, it works with:

$.evalFile("pathToMyFile/myfile.jsxbin")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this will work for your needs, but it did work for mine…

use "doscript"

app.doScript ("script.jsx");

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2015 Mar 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no doScript () method on the FrameMaker app object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 17, 2015 Mar 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Is there a way to make my scripts trustworthy?

Try putting your scripts in your Documents/Adobe Scripts folder.

p.18 of the Javascript Tools Guide has this to say:

Adobe Scripts folder

On first launch, the Toolkit creates a folder named Adobe Scripts in the user's Documents folder. The

Default favorite in the Scripts panel displays the contents of this folder.

When double-clicking a JSX file, the Toolkit normally acts as an invisible security filter. Before actually

launching the file, a security dialog asks if it is OK to execute the script. The Toolkit treats the user's

Documents/Adobe Scripts folder, however, as a trusted location; when you double-click a JSX file in that

folder, the Toolkit does not display the security alert.

In WIndows, that is "%userprofile%\Documents\Adobe Scripts".

(Taken from a reply of mine at https://forums.adobe.com/message/7080599#7080599)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply do the following:

var myFile = File('C:/Scripts Panel/scriptFileName.jsx');     // add file location

app.doScript(myFile);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is no "doScript" in FrameMaker.

The best way to do it is to simply do:

$.evalFile('/full/path/to/file.jsx');

If the evalFile is called inside another function, any global scope vars in the target script will actually be in the calling functions scope.

This has the huge advantage that the garbage collecter will free all of those vars once the calling function exits, so the global scope doesn't get filled with junk, nor does it run the risk of name conflicts.

Another (more complicated) option is to use an ExtendScript implementation of require.js (can be found with a bit of googling). This would allow the use of CommonJS modules (like in Node.js).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines