• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't distill file that uses Proxima Nova Condensed Black typeface

New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, it's ALL of the Proxima Nova Condensed fonts, except for Proxima Nova Condensed (i.e., not thin, extrabold, etc.), that won't distill.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm using the Proxima Nova font family as synced fonts from Adobe CC. They work fine except for one typeface: Proxima Nova Condensed Black. I get an error message every time I try to distill a file to PDF from a Framemaker file that uses that specific font.

Here is the message:

%%[ ProductName: Distiller ]%% %%[ Error: invalidfont; OffendingCommand: definefont; ErrorInfo: StemSnapV --nostringval-- ]%%  Stack: /Font -dict- /ADCFAA+ProximaNovaCond-Black   %%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%% %%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Plans are in the works to purchase the font family and install the fonts locally (Windows 7), but in the meantime, I'm trying to print using this font so people can review what they need to review. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Maureen

Message was edited by: Maureen Costantino

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's something wrong with the fonts, that's what Distiller is trying to tell you. You won't be able to create a PDF using the current installed versions. Where did these come from? Do they work in other applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for replying. I'm using the Proxima Nova fonts from Adobe CC Typekit. They are synced. The weird thing is that some PN typefaces work and some don't. If they have to go through Distiller, the problem ones won't work (while the non-problem ones do). When I export to PDF from InDesign or save as PDF from Word, there is no problem (but I don't think the files are going through Distiller, although I don't exactly know when or not Distiller is used).

--Maureen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the fonts actually resident on your computer in the folders that are specified for Distiller to look at?

FM always creates postscript and distills, even using the SaveAsPDF route albeit in the background. InDesign creates a PD directly without intermediate postscript. Not certain about what Word does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same error. I have used Proxima Nova several times for print projects via InDesign without issue (including yesterday). However, now I am receiving the error. Even more frustrating - I've based my entire 20pg booklet off of the PN font family. If I have to change all of the fonts, that changes full spacing and it is extremely annoying. I've tried adding new folders to search through distiller, but cannot find a solution. Any feedback would be helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue in a 665 page catalog. These fonts are mandatory, so I  have to make this work. Did you get a solution?

Font Error Crashes Frame 12 .ps file

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 18, 2016 May 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message is telling you that the font is faulty. According to the message, the font uses the StemSnapV hint operator, but the interpreter is not finding a value for it.

This is most likely because the value is missing from your font. However, it might be missing for other reasons. For example, the PostScipt code that you are distilling might have destroyed the value, before then trying to use it.

To start with, use a font validity checker such as fontlint. This might confirm that the font is at fault.

I'd also see if you can replicate the issue using from a more common application. Print to a PostScript file, then open that file in Distiller.

If the font is indeed faulty, the only person who can fix this is the font's creator. You can contact him at mark@marksimonson.com​. If you do so, give as much information as possible, including version numbers of the Proxima Nova fonts and of any application you are using.Best of all would be instructions for replicating the problem with commonly available applications.

As an aside, the StemSnapV value should be a list of average vertical stem widths for different types of chanarcter. At small point sizes, the interpreter uses this width for any stems that have a similar width. This avoids rounding creating noticeable but unintentional differences in stem widths. At larger point sizes no rounding is done, preserving any subtleties in the design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fontlint....where do I get that? I only see FontForge in searches and have no clue how to use it to validate a font with that tool.

The weird thing is I found that I can use the Save as PDF feature in Frame 12 and the PDF file will be created. I open Distiller and I can see it run my Frame file through it using the exact same jop option and the file is created....but not from a postscript file which has always been my method for like almost 20 years now.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The SaveAsPDF route actually uses the same print feature as manually printing to postscript with a few other steps thrown in, all working behind the scenes. There really is no need anymore to manually print to postscript and then distill.

When you create the postscript file, is the AdobePDF printer instance the default for FM? Which joboptions file are you using?

With SaveAsPDF route, using the RGB route is equivalent to printing to postscript with the "Generate Acrobat Data" option enabled and then distilling with the specified joboptions file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I only use the default Adobe PDF printer instance. I have my own job option but I tried using all the default options in the package and nothing worked any different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 23, 2016 May 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's a long time since I've used fontlint, but from memory, it is a utility that is installed as a part of the fontforge package. It is Linux/Unix software. To run it on Windows, you must use CygWin to give a Unix-like environment.

Other font validators are available; for example, the Microsoft Font Validator.

Whichever font validator you use, my main point stands. Determine whether a fault is reported for the font, and if so, ask the developer to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines