• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't select text in FrameMaker 2017

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what may have prompted this behavior, which is why I'm here. Today, for some reason, I can not select text in a FrameMaker document — one in which I have worked before with the usual ability. I can't click and drag the mouse to select text, nor can I put down a cursor and use the Shift key together with an arrow key to select text. Considering that I do a lot of cutting and pasting back and forth, along with changing fonts, styles, and weights, this limitation is exceedingly frustrating. Any ideas where FrameMaker lost its ability to select text?

Using FM 2017 in Windows 10.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

You might have locked it and made it view-only?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have locked it and made it view-only?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2018 Oct 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jeff,

Based upon Barb's screen grabs, I'm reasonably certain that the file was unlocked. I was, as I mention in my reply to her, working from home on a company laptop when I had the issue; now that I'm back in the office, everything's working just fine. I'll keep this in mind if the issue pops up again.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could have been whatever method you were using to access FM remotely - some programs hijack your keys/focus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is something I had not considered. Thank you for the tip, Jeff.

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the menus in that file, Kevin.

An unlocked file:

Screenshot 2018-10-08 21.16.18.png

Vs a locked file:

Screenshot 2018-10-08 21.16.29.png

Click the padlock icon on the toolbar to toggle between view-only (locked) and editable (unlocked).

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Barb, thank you for replying.

Based upon your screen grabs, the file was unlocked at the time I first posted. I was working from home on my company laptop when things went crazy. And I could type in the file; so I'm pretty sure it wasn't locked.

Now that I'm back in the office, text selection is working just fine. I can't explain it.

Thanks for the tip; I'll keep it in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you are back up and running.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines