• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot remove paragraph format

Participant ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a template with Heading3 instead of Head3 - same properties just different name. I deleted all of the paragraph formats, imported the new template, updated the headers. Head3 remains persistent in the document. I cannot clear the check box for NextParagraph so that there is no required next paragraph. It just will not remove itself from the document period. I have tried removing it from the catalog and it does delete the format. But there it is still in the document. Any thoughts?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

I had noticed something like this in the past as well. I do not know what had caused this.

My fix was:

• Save as MIF.
  • Open the MIF with a text editor.
  • Search for the text in the problem paragraph.
  • Check, if it has the FLocked attribute set to Yes. If yes, change this to No.
  • Save the MIF file.
  • Open it in FrameMaker. Check, if you can change the paragraph format of your problem paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can see where Head3 is still in use?

How about:

• Click in a Head3
  • Tag it as Heading3
  • Edit > Copy Special > Paragraph Format
  • Edit > Find/Change
    • Find=Paragraph Tag: Head3
    • Paste=By Pasting
    • Change All

Now that's it's not being used, you can delete it and it won't be lurking in the file. Tags that are removed from a catalog "lurk" in the file, attached to their original paragraphs, until they are replaced by another tag.

Alternatively, you could rename all Head3s to Heading3s, and re-import formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 02, 2016 Jul 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that didn't work - it's still stubbornly showing up as Head3. I believe this was introduced through a text inset that was set to retain the original formatting. So even after changing the text inset to the correct format, and updating it in the doc, it didn't fix it. I tried renaming the paragraph tag and applying it but it refuses to accept the new tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2016 Jul 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it refuses to accept the new tag.

What does Fm do when you rename the tag?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How about removing the text inset, updating both files independently, and then importing it back in?

If you are using the rename approach:

Click in the old head paragraph. Note that when a tag is removed from the Catalog, the name and format are still attached to the paragraphs that were using it until you tell them otherwise:

VMware Fusionss_001.png

Change the name in Paragraph Designer and click Update All. Ok to rename:
VMware Fusionss_002.png

The paras that were using the old name are renamed, and the new format is added to the Catalog.VMware Fusionss_003.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had noticed something like this in the past as well. I do not know what had caused this.

My fix was:

• Save as MIF.
  • Open the MIF with a text editor.
  • Search for the text in the problem paragraph.
  • Check, if it has the FLocked attribute set to Yes. If yes, change this to No.
  • Save the MIF file.
  • Open it in FrameMaker. Check, if you can change the paragraph format of your problem paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 05, 2016 Jul 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Saving as *.mif and changing nextpgf to no worked. Flocked was set to No. Now I can generate Web Help with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines