Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Degree Symbol

Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have just tried adding the degree symbol to the Symbols menu. The label appeared but when I tried to use it 'x' was inserted instead of the degree symbol. Suspect the definition (<Definition \xB0>) is incorrect. Have tried changing the cmds definition to something that does work  (plusminus <Definition \xB1>)  and all seems okay with that.

I am using FM9.0p196 on Windows 7.

Tried searching the forum for this topic but have been having trouble getting any results for even the simplest search criteria!

Cheers

Stu

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 18, 2011 Apr 18, 2011

Stuart,

What you originally had specified (\xb0) is the encoding for a degree using the Symbol font. For the equivalent ring character in a standard font, the FM encoding is \xfb or ANSI 0176. However, when adding these items to the menus, FM uses the command definitions encoded in the \fminit\configui\wincmds.cfg file. These command definitions uttilize the platform specific keystrokes to circumvent unicode encoding issues.

To add the Degree symbol definition to the SpecialSymbols menu in  the me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stu, try pressing Ctrl + q, release, then press Shift + {.

Ron Tillotson

Technical Writer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron,

Thanks. That works but I am still wondering why it doesn't from the symbol menu. I used the instructions from a previous thread to get the label there but would like to find out hopw to solve it.

Stu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2015 Jun 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great suggestion - right to the point!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have just stumbled across answer. Change cmds definition to \xfb an

d it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stuart,

What you originally had specified (\xb0) is the encoding for a degree using the Symbol font. For the equivalent ring character in a standard font, the FM encoding is \xfb or ANSI 0176. However, when adding these items to the menus, FM uses the command definitions encoded in the \fminit\configui\wincmds.cfg file. These command definitions uttilize the platform specific keystrokes to circumvent unicode encoding issues.

To add the Degree symbol definition to the SpecialSymbols menu in  the menus.cfg file, it should be entered as:

<Add CharDegree <Menu SpecialSymbols>>

where the CharDegree is (re)defined in the wincmds.cfg using the keystroke, i.e.

<Modify CharDegree <KeySequence ^q 0 > >

For future reference, if you want to add any more special charactters to the SpecialSymbols menu, use FM's pre-defined commands. They are all defined in the wincmds.cfg file starting at line 574 in the "-- Universal Extension to Ascii Characters " section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

Thanks for that.

Stu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2011 Apr 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd also upgrade to the latest FM 9 release (p255)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stuart, you mentioned FM9.0p196 -- there are several updates since then, p196 has some nasty gotchas.

Note that FM updates are not roll-up, so you need to install each one in sequence.

Updates - Adobe - FrameMaker : For Windows

Sheila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheila,

Thanks for info. Have recently had a new machine and IT types had set updates to manual. Have sorted it.

Stu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Sheila - hadn't got to your response when I answered the OP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried searching the forum for this topic but have been having trouble getting any results for even the simplest search criteria!

That's a standard feature on a surprising number of internet forums.

What I do is:

• Use an external search engine, such as Google.
  • Use their "Advanced Search" page.
  • Restrict the site or domain to: forums.adobe.com
  • Always put "framemaker" in the must-find (AND) word list

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines