• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I add rows of an Excel table into a table in FrameMaker?

Participant ,
Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got half of my data formatted into a table in FM. I received the rest of the info that needs to be added to the table. How do I do that without retyping all the rows (600+)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017

You can't paste the Excel spreadsheet data directly into an existing table, so here's what I'd do:

1. Copy the spreadsheet data to the clipboard
  2. Paste either into an ¶ in the Fm document, or better yet into a new one—this makes a new table
  3. Add enough rows/columns to the existing table (use Table > Add Rows or Columns)
  4. Then you can copy those cells and paste them into the empty rows of the original table
  5. Save your file and close the other Fm doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use File>Import>File to convert to a FrameMaker document. You'll get options to convert on the fly, or you can convert after import.

If you have trouble with the import, try exporting the XLSX as CSV and then importing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can get the spreadsheet into FrameMaker, but then I need to add the spreadsheet info into an existing table in FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't paste the Excel spreadsheet data directly into an existing table, so here's what I'd do:

1. Copy the spreadsheet data to the clipboard
  2. Paste either into an ¶ in the Fm document, or better yet into a new one—this makes a new table
  3. Add enough rows/columns to the existing table (use Table > Add Rows or Columns)
  4. Then you can copy those cells and paste them into the empty rows of the original table
  5. Save your file and close the other Fm doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm typing too slow today!

Or use Matt's suggestion to import the rest of the data into a design doc instead of my steps 1–2, and then continue down the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're bringing it in as Import by reference. Is that correct?

If so, use the Copy into document option instead.

If you already used Copy into document then you just have table rows, which you can Cut/Paste as needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both. That saved a ton of typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, what Barb said!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines