• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I populate data from xml file to create MIF Event tables ?

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some data in xml format and I need to create tables by importing data from the xml file using MIF libraries .How do I do this ?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

If the source data is in XML, it's probably better to create a structured application that understands this XML and maps it into FrameMaker table elements. Depending on the complexity of your source XML, read/write rules (rwrule) might be enough for this. Otherwise a structured application that does XSLT Preprocessing when opening your XML might be the better option. Once you have the XML open in FrameMaker and rendered as a table, you can continue to work in Structured FrameMaker or copy & past

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the source data is in XML, it's probably better to create a structured application that understands this XML and maps it into FrameMaker table elements. Depending on the complexity of your source XML, read/write rules (rwrule) might be enough for this. Otherwise a structured application that does XSLT Preprocessing when opening your XML might be the better option. Once you have the XML open in FrameMaker and rendered as a table, you can continue to work in Structured FrameMaker or copy & paste a table from this structured document into an unstructured document and remove the structure. Depends on if your final FrameMaker document is xml-based (e.g. DITA) or a classic "unstructured" document.

Maybe you can post some sample xml code here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Stefan

Thank you for your reply .

This is how I have the content in my XML source data

<EVENT>

<Event Name>Employee1</Event Name>

<Category>Regular</Category>

<Event ID >480</Event ID>

</EVENT>

<EVENT>

<Event Name>Employee2</Event Name>

<Category>Part-time</Category>

<Event ID >482</Event ID>

</EVENT>

And I need the table as below ,

Event Name

Category

Event ID

Employee1

Regular

Employee2

Part-time

Could you please give me few example scripts that maps the data from the xml file to the framemaker table elements ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines