• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to generate a Mini TOC, but only for that Chapter that the Mini TOC sits in within the Book?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can one specify which documents FrameMaker 2019 uses to generate a Mini TOC?

I have a Book with 80 Chapters, each chapter must have a Mini TOC with links to content para tags within the content of that chapter.

At present, I select the chapter folder and  insert a 'Stand Alone TOC' into that chapter.

I then import a template to format the TOC paratags and then update the Book, select the Mini TOC to be populated, FM generates a Complete Book TOC into the mini TOC page, then I select all the chapters that are not applicable and delete those, leaving the mini TOC headings I want for that chapter only.

This is arduous as the Complete Book TOC is 10 Pages now, and growing.

There has to be a better way, what am I missing here?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

I am not quite sure I understand the structure of your Frame book.

But in Frame you can have a Master book, that will contain many small books (instead of using folders, have a Master book and small books).

If each of your chapters will become a .book, which contains the other files which are the sections? of your book, then you can have a ToC for each book.

However, I am not sure how much extra work this will cause to set it up.

It might pay off on  the long run.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A mini TOC is independant of the regular TOC, and is an independent feature

Just go to the Chapter you need, and in the location of the chapter that you want,

From the Insert  menu choose

Insert Table of Contents

and from the menu choose  "Create Mini TOC"

The "Set Up Mini TOC" dialog box opens, and then you choose the headings you wish to include.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's not a mini-TOC - that's a full TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Caroline,

Ok, I tried the procedure you suggest. I found the menu dropdown and all that, no problem, thank you.

I have been approaching this the wrong way, or at least a different way.

I may be wrong here, but after trying to create a miniTOC using your suggestion, it seems to me that one can only insert a MiniToc at the begining of a 'document'. To me, that means if I had a 20 page document I could put a miniTOC on say, the first page and all is good.

But what I need to be able to do is to insert a miniTOC as the first page of a Chapter of documents in a 70 chapter technical manual. Each Chapter is made up of many separate documents and this is where I think I am coming unstuck.

When I try to set up the MiniTOC as you suggest, with the para tags I need, I get a error saying that none of those tags are in the document. I assume this is because the document I am inserting the MiniTOC into is just a blank page.

In this case I think it has to be this way because each document in the chapter may have 1 - 8 pages,  with different headers and page numbering. I've placed each document in a folder hierachy within the FM Book as this automatically generates the 6 digit section / sub section and page numbers sucessfully. ( eg. 21-10-00)

Can you see a flaw in my thinking here? Do you have any suggestions as to how I can maybe restructure the setup to achieve a easier minTOC? Thank you for your reply too BTW

Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not quite sure I understand the structure of your Frame book.

But in Frame you can have a Master book, that will contain many small books (instead of using folders, have a Master book and small books).

If each of your chapters will become a .book, which contains the other files which are the sections? of your book, then you can have a ToC for each book.

However, I am not sure how much extra work this will cause to set it up.

It might pay off on  the long run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your suggestion Caroline.

This may be possible. I shall give it a try and see how much time it will require to create .book files for a chapter and see where that takes me.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines