• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to split a mini toc for different document sections?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I was glad about the possibility to generate a miniTOC in an easy way but ...

it is a nice feature to use mini TOC instead of single cross references or table of content as text insert. But the mini TOC in FM 2015 only is a compact blog of all references I determined where I'm not able to say i.e. that I want to show only the first ten paragraphs as mini TOC for the current section of my document and after this I want to insert a new mini TOC for the next section with the rest of the references for the next pages. Means, I cannot split my mini TOC for different parts of the document. With a table of content I can do so..

So I have to do the same I did before I was delighted about a mini TOC.

Or did I misunderstand the feature?

Thx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to re-visit your document design. It sounds like you've got all of your "sections" in a single file. It would be a lot easier to use the miniTOC if those sections were in separate files. FM's book function does a great job of making a FM "document" behave in a seamless manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply.

Of course I use the book function of FM from the beginning I worked with FM 6.0 for many years because my different documents have aprox. 20 chapters, (each is a separate FM file *.fm) that I include in a book file (*.book). Inside each chapter are several topics which represent a section (several thematic parts in a chapter I describe as section). The topics include sub topics on a second level (nothing abnormal). The sections (whole content under a topic) sometimes are very large and it is useful to provide a mini TOC at the beginning of one topic with the sub topics only from the current topic and at the beginning of the next topic also only with the sub topics of this topic. Up to now I always used a table of content of the current chapter, only had to copy the wanted references from the table of content and included it in the chapter beside of each topic (this means to split the TOC). But the new function to create a mini TOC (FM -> Special-> Table of content -> Create a mini TOC) creates an element, where I am not able to copy/cut only the necessary references (sub topics) for the current topic and then as a mini TOC for the next topic (references only for that topic).

Hope you can reproduce my problem (language problems may bring some dificulties with too ...). It is not effective for me to split my chapters further more maybe into separate files for each topic (section). I will use the "old" way even it is more time consuming and not so comfortable.

Thank you for your patience. I will make a call for the support too.

JN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The miniTOC, just like the full TOC, works on existing paratag names. If you need to separate the contents of the sections to each have a separate miniTOC in a file, then you will probably have to modify the paratag names in the various sections. Currently, other than a scripted custom solution, there isn't any other way to have multiple, restricted TOC entries in a single file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines