Exit

How to view embedded Script file (.sh) in PDF

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Team,

My requirement was:

• embed a shell script in the guide. I have imported the shell script using File >Import >Objects.
    • In the Object dialog, i have selected the Packages option and select the Display as icon check box.

Encountering error:

In the FM file, the icon is there and the script works well when i click it, but when i publish PDF, nothing appears.

Please help!

This is very urgent. I have to deliver deliverables.

Regards,

Sarabjeet

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least in FM12, the File > Import > Object dialog shows the explanation "Inserts the contents of the file […] activate it using the program which created it". I read this as meaning you could insert the .sh file as an object and then open it from a .pdf with the editor that you used to create it: not run the .sh from the .pdf file. The dialog also offers a list of recognised programs, and on my PC the only [approximation to a] text editor in the list is Wordpad.

For a small .sh I'd be inclined to use File > Import > File (import by reference, of course) and then encourage the reader to copy/paste. I don't know how you could use FM to include a "download file" link – perhaps one of the hyperlink options? so I'll watch this thread with interest.

copyPaste.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Sarabjeet,

While I don't know of a way to embed a companion file in FrameMaker that will become a downloadable file in PDF, you can add the file to the PDF in Acrobat using the Tools > Edit PDF > Attach File command.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines