• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing text insets to include items on the master pages...

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-

I am importing a file by reference maintaining source formatting. 

The source ends with an empty page populated by the phrase  "Page left intentionally blank". This comes from a master page in the source document and does not appear in the target document.  

Is there a way to make "Page left intentionally blank" appear in the target document automatically, or am I going to have to add a master page in the target document that has that phrase in it?

FM 2019

Win10

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the PLIB page in the source document is mapped by a specific Paragraph Format that's preserved in the importation, you can probably set up the same mapping in the importing document. You'll like need to manually run an AMP to get it to display the first time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page Left Intentionally Blank
Apply Master Pages (Format » Page Layout » Apply Master Pages)

The Reference Page (w/table) needed does not exist until you run AMP for the first time.
Being in Unstruct is immaterial for this.

You might find out how they were doing PLIB in the source document. There are various schemes, none super elegant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glossary

PLIB: Page Left Intentionally Blank

AMP: Format > Page Layout > Apply Master Pages

Apply Master Pages is a feature that a lot of my Advanced students have never heard of, even when they are long-time Fm users, so this post explains the feature, and how to set up the Master Page Mapping Table.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-automatically-assigning-custom-master-pages/

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Triggering it via Text Inset is a new wrinkle.
Could be a hall of mirrors.
For a current project, that doesn't have the text inset challenge, my default L/R pages are the PLIB content. Real L/R pages of various layouts are triggered by an assortment of widely used ¶formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've heard of these, but I always thought they only applied to HTML. I saw on many of the blogs to stay away from them unles you were going to use them for HTML. 

Going to give it a try...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: thought they only applied to HTML.

It's the opposite, as I recall. MP content is discarded for HTML (and likely eBook).
Master Page mapping is key for print & PDF. By default, in two-sided layouts, FM is providing Left & Right MP layouts for you.

People commonly want to have other layouts available, front/rear covers, truly blank, 2-column for ToC & IX, chapter-starts that don't populate the header with Heading1's content, etc. My current project has 12 MPs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know what you mean... parts of my current project have 6 master pages

What I meant was I thought that command (Apply Mater Pages) only worked when applying it to HTML formatted Frame files.

I look back and I remember things that magically appeared, and realize those must have also been applied master pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

I'm afraid I don't know what PLIB and AMP mean.

Also- I'm working in unstructured Frame, if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately these ideas didn't work for me. I think the text inset (maintaining source formatting) wasn't seen by the APM. Then it hosed up the other text boxes in the flow.

I've seen this before in other docs, but I've never used it. I'll remember this and try it on a piece that is not imported by reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines