• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues customizing Table of Contents layout.

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to add the section numbers and chapter numbers to the table of contents but even with adding the <$chapnum> to my numbering format in my documents. I also added the <$paranumonly> to the reference page for them to be shown and the end result is the same as below. I also tried just saving the file after adding the tags and updating the book which added a second group of TOC tags to the reference page. The layout that I am striving for would look like this:

Module 1..... 3
Section 1.1...5

Section 1.1.1.... 7 

Module 2...... 8

Section 2.1 ....10

Section 2.1.1 ... 12

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 11.58.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 11.52.36 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 11.54.39 AM.png

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering , Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do your paragraph tags that you are including in the TOC have autonumbering? That's where the <$paranum> and <$paranumonly> variables pull their information from.

Are all of these headings in a single file or in multiple files? The <$chapnum>, and <$volnum> variables won't increment if you have a single file. 

Also, if you want the words Module or Section or Chapter in front of the numbers, they either have to be part of your autonumbering in the paragraph tags or they have to be part of the information you have on your reference page.

Barb Binder has an excellent set of posts on how to set up autonumbering if you need help with that.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-9-numbering-headings/

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-numbered-headings-continued/

She also has a page explaining some of what you need for the reference page:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-including-chapter-numbers-in-a-table-of-conte...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will certainly look into those links you posted. I have about 15 documents that are being conbined so in the document the auto numbering is working as  far as the <$paranum> is not a tag being used nor is <$paranumonly>. Would that tag be used in the auto numbering? 
current format I am using is:

H: Module: <$chapnum>. < > < >< >< > from

Module 1

Table: 1-1

Figure 1-1 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this.

In your document files, set up your autonumbering like this:

autonumber.jpg

This will have the following result:

autonumber-results.jpg

After you generate your TOC the first time, open the reference view for the generated  TOC file and go to the TOC page. Make it look like this:

toc reference page setup.jpg

After you regenerate, your TOC will look like this:

toc regenerated.jpg

Remember to set your Chapter and Paragraph numbering properties for each file. The first file gets Chapter > Chapter #  1 and Paragraph > Restart Paragraph Numbering.

All the others get Chapter > Continue Numbering from Previous Chapter and Paragraph > Restart Paragraph Numbering

I think that'll give you what you want. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying what you suggested but keep getting the error pictured. I get the error for all six documetns in the book and I even did as FrameMaker suggests 

To specify numbering properties for items in a book, select eh items in the book, and choose Format>Document>Numbering I set the settings I could Volume and Chapter. The settings for Section, Sub-Section were greyed out. I have a feeling that is why I can not get my TOC to follow what you demonstrated adn why I can not add the <$paranum> tag with success. Again thank you for your help!Numbering_Error.png

Numbering_Scheme.png

Chapter_Numbers.png

Page_Numbers.png

Section_Numbers.png

Sub-Section_Numbers.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Volume, Section, and Subsection tabs are grayed out because you are not using those variables. Ignore them. (ETA: also, I think they require using folders or books within the book file; not something I've fiddled with so I'm not entirely certain.)

There are two places you can set Document numbering.

• One is in each document individually: Format > Document > Numbering, then setting the Chapter and Paragraph tabs as directed.
  • One is using the Book file by right-clicking on each document and selecting Numbering, then setting the Chapter and Paragraph tabs as directed.

If you set it in the Book file, it is not necessary to set it in the Document file because the Book settings override. This is the source of your pictured error message, and you can safely tell FM to ignore inconsistent numbering and continue if you don't feel like setting the numbering up in each Document. It'll still work.

I generally do both, but I am a belt-and-suspenders sorta person.

Basically, just select the option and click continue and let us know if you're happy with the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried as you described. Numbering is correct however I added the <$paranum> to the TOC Reference pages and it did nothing. Also I added a tab stop to create a dotted line between the TOC entry and the page number, this did not update either in the actual TOC but ti did add in new <$paratext><$pagenum> tags into the reference page rather than using the modifyers I entered. Do I need to incorporate sections and subsections into my numbering.Here are screenshots of what I am seeing. and the numbering that i am using.Numbering Table.png TOC_Layout.png

TOC_Ref.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see your tab stop indicator in that reference page screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should there be a tab stop before the <$paranum> tag? How does that prevent the chapters and sections from being labeled on TOC? Why would it also prevent the TOC from grouping sections? Doues there need to be a paragraph style for each level chapter level and section level? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at Lin's screenshot, it appears after the <$paratext> building block.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tabstop picture is what is supposed to create the ............ between <$paratext> and <$pagenum> I have that working what I can't seem to get to work is the headings and section labels in the TOC so what the entries shoud look like are:

Module 1: "Module Title".............................................. 1

Section 1.1 "Section Title"............................................. 3

Module 2: "Module Title" ........................................... 10

2.1 "Section Title" ..................................................... 13 

I have seen TOC laid out like this so I know it is possible but have not seen a video, blog, or community post that details how to do this? I have followed everything that should produce this result but what ends up happening is that a new set of

<$paratext><$pagenum>

<$paratext><$pagenum>

<$paratext><$pagenum>

gets generated and the mods to the reference page I make are overidden. 

TOC_Layout_PD.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you actually TYPING IN the information that is showing in all-caps? If so, I think that may be part of your problem.

When FrameMaker creates a TOC file, it also creates the paragraph tags for the TOC entries. There is one for each paragraph tag that you include in the TOC with "TOC" added at the end. For example, the paragraph tag "Module Heading" will have a corresponding TOC tag labeled "Module HeadingTOC" in the generated TOC file, and that tag is applied to the line on the reference page that controls how that will appear in the TOC. 

1. Delete the TOC file you've been working on from your book and from disk.
  2. Recreate the TOC file.
  3. Open the TOC file and go to the TOC reference page.
  4. Put your cursor in one of the existing lines and open the paragraph designer. Edit it for margins, tabs, etc. Do NOT change the name.
  5. Update the style.
  6. With your cursor in that same line, add the <$paranum> building block and the tab between <$paratext> and <$pagenum>. (NB: I can't tell if you're using a small-cap font or typing in all caps. If the latter, don't do that; type in lowercase as shown.)
  7. Regenerate the TOC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That got me really close. All the information is there that I want. Now can I format the bbody page of the TOC to appear the way that I want without losing links and information in the reference page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes? I mean, that's what should have happened when you edited the paragraph tags for the *TOC tags in step 4? What is still not looking right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BTW, while you're waiting for your employer to buy the FrameMaker "bible" (is that Matt Sullivan's book?), you could download the full help file in PDF form. It is also an excellent reference and provides a solid understanding of Frame's features.

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/2019/using/framemaker_help.pdf

ETA: There's also Klaus Daube's compendium, which is another excellent reference full of tips on how to get Frame to do things that are a bit out of the standard: https://www.daube.ch/docu/files/compendium.pdf

That's a work in progress, so check back for updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines