• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

OpenType Feature > Figure Style > Tabular Lining available in FM12?

Participant ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company uses Font Bureau's Interstate for published numbers. In InDesign and other software, we use the OpenType Feature > Figure Style > Tabular Lining option so the numbers in a sentence take up the same amount of space and line up if in a table. I've seen references elsewhere here that OpenType features for ligatures are not available in Framemaker 12, but I want to make sure I'm understanding correctly, in case I'm missing a spot where the figure style might be defined.  Thank-you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

FrameMaker doesn't support any OT features. However, if the required glyphs are at specific uniciode values, then you could always use these unicode values in the FM documents to render the desired glyph/character/number.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker doesn't support any OT features. However, if the required glyphs are at specific uniciode values, then you could always use these unicode values in the FM documents to render the desired glyph/character/number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would using unicode values be possible for autonumbering, like page numbering? Thanks -- Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: Would using unicode values be possible for autonumbering, like page numbering?

Unless FM has been enhanced lately, probably not.
See:How to use Chinese characters as autonumbers, variables, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 08, 2015 Dec 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker has no control for these features. However, the default figure style in most OpenType fonts is tabular lining figures.This might be the case for Font Bureau's Interstate.

I'd suggest creating a paragraph format with pair kerning disabled, and minimum, maximum, and optimum word spacing all set to 100%. These settings are to prevent FrameMaker from respacing your text. Then use that paragraph format in a test table, and see how it behaves.

To insert a numeric space, use the keyboard shortcut Esc-space-one (i.e. press and release the three keys, one after the other).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's interesting, Mike, because my experience is the opposite, that the default figure style is Proportional, so the numbers kern appropriately inside text, as in a publication article or brochure, and tabular lining has to be selected. Your suggestion is a good one, and might work for other typefaces. But Font Bureau's Interstate does not have Tabular Lining as the default figure style. Also, the difference between proportional and tabular figures is very visible even with respacing off.

I have a second copy of the fonts called Interstate Tab with the Tabular Lining figures in the default position, so I'll use that for this publication only.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines