• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Printing a book

Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have five files in a book.  The first paragraph format in each file is set to Start anywhere and each file has been set to Delete empty pages before saving.  When I print the book, the files all start at the top of a new page.  I do not want that.  Instead, I want each subsequent file to begin where the previous file left off.  Is there a way to do this other than merging all the files into one large file?

Thanks for any assistance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 19, 2017 Jan 19, 2017

If I understand you correctly you want this:

The first paragraph of the next file should be just below the last paragraph of the preceeding file.

As Barb said each file starts a new page.

You can get your effect only with text insets.

I recommend to create a book like this:

title.fm

copyright.fm

contentsTOC.fm

file.fm

back.fm

file.fm contains the content of these files as text insets:

file1.fm

file2.fm

file3.fm

If you want to edit these files e.g. for search/replace, then create a separate book with these fil

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want each subsequent file to begin where the previous file left off.  Is there a way to do this other than merging all the files into one large file?

Are you hoping that chapter 2, for example, will start halfway down the last page of chapter 1, because the last page of chapter 1 doesn't use a full page? No.

The text at the beginning of each chapter will start at the top of a page. It can be designated to start at the top of the next right page, next left page or next available page, but always at the top of a new page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly you want this:

The first paragraph of the next file should be just below the last paragraph of the preceeding file.

As Barb said each file starts a new page.

You can get your effect only with text insets.

I recommend to create a book like this:

title.fm

copyright.fm

contentsTOC.fm

file.fm

back.fm

file.fm contains the content of these files as text insets:

file1.fm

file2.fm

file3.fm

If you want to edit these files e.g. for search/replace, then create a separate book with these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2017 Jan 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Barb and Winfried.  This answers my question.  I am responsible for a few non-contiguous chapters in a book so I was trying to have each chapter as a FrameMaker book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines