• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Symbols in Paragraph Designer

Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a request from marketing to add some different markings to the manuals that we produce.  They want to see something like Bullets, but not round dots.  Is there a way to add other symbols into the Paragraph Designer?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

re: They want to see something like Bullets, but not round dots.

In the Numbering properties tab for the initial and subsequent auto-numbered tag (by default usually Bulleted), change the "\b" default bullet building block to whatever Unicode character you want, such as "\u25ba" (►), assuming your font populates the glyph desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: They want to see something like Bullets, but not round dots.

In the Numbering properties tab for the initial and subsequent auto-numbered tag (by default usually Bulleted), change the "\b" default bullet building block to whatever Unicode character you want, such as "\u25ba" (►), assuming your font populates the glyph desired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I verify if the glyph I want is available?  If I find that it's not there, how can I add it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just enter the glyph's unicode value in any FM document to see if it shows up or use an application like PopChar to see what is available in your fonts.

Adding a glyph to a font involves using a font design tool and may also be a violation of your font's licensing. Otherwise, look for fonts that contain the desired symbol(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Character Map application (on Windows 7, All Programs > Accessories > System Tools). Choose your font, set the Character Set to Unicode, and scroll through the glyphs. You might find it useful to Group by Unicode subrange.

If you don't see a glyph you like in your body text font, you can use a glyph from another font. Create a Character Format to select that font. Then on the Numbering tab of the Paragraph Designer, apply that Character Format to the autonumber. If you go this route, consider how you will keep the same look and feel in other output formats such as HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Character Map is not dependable. It shows glyphs that are not in the

font. I'm not sure why Windows chose to do this. Popchar (cheap) shows

the actual glyphs in the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, I don't think that I'm going to be able to get IT to sign off on getting Popchar.  Windows Character Map will have to work.  Now I need to set up the formats and get sign off from the other departments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines