• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

using framemaker as a command to generate an output (eg: PDF)

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if there is a way to use framemaker as a command to generate an output such as a pdf file without opening the framemaker UI.

For example, I have already created a book file using framemaker.

Now, a part of an overall product release, I would like to be able to execute the framemaker command to "process" the book file and generate the desired output such as a pdf file as specified in the form of a command option.

Is this doable?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For this kind of automation, you will need to use Adobe FrameMaker Publishing Server (2017 release).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I will take a look shortly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an alternative to Stefan's suggestion (especially for occasional use at a more reasonble cost) you could use Datazone's DZbatcher tool. This let's you set up command files to run FM in order to create output (and other things).

See: https://miramo.com/english/overview/download.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link to DZbatcher. The FrameMaker license explicitly does not permit this:

2.1.7.2 For clarification and without limitation, the foregoing does not permit Customer to install or access (either directly or through commands, data, or instructions) the Software:

(e) for operations not initiated by an individual user (e.g., automated server processing).

Therefore I strongly encourage you to not use it if you do not want to violate your licenses and run into legal problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This all depends upon the user requirements. As long as the user runs the command file on their computer manually, there is no license violation. So (as I mentioned) for occasional use, this may be a more cost-effective option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The license is very clear and and exludes explicitly running FrameMaker for any kind of automated processing both directly or through “commands, data or instructions” (see my quote from the license).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok - looked into this a bit more.

it seems to me that it is possible to invoke the framemaker as a command in a command windows to "process" a .fm file and generate the desired output as specified on the command line.

This can either be done directly by the user on the command line, in which case, the cited clause in the license does permit. Therefore, I can actually wrap it in a .bat command and invoke that command instead, and thus invoke the framemaker.exe "indirectly" without violating the license, I think. The bottom line is as long as the command is initiated by an individual user, directly or indirectly, should be ok, am I right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let’s do not overstretch this unnecessarily.

It does not matter if you are calling FM via commandline to automatically perform a FrameMaker Publishing Server task, of via a cmd or bat file or wrap it into an exe file or put ten exe files calling the next until the last one calls FrameMaker.

What you are trying to do is simply not covered by the FrameMaker license. For this kind of automated publishing there is FrameMaker Publishing Server.

If there are any doubts left about this, I’ll be happy to connect you with the Adobe legal team to discuss any questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I realize the available capability of the product is restricted by the legal team.

Thank you for your effort in bringing that to my attention ...

will stick with sphinx ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The available capacity for automated and/or scheduled publishing processes in the desktop version of FrameMaker is limited because there is a dedicated product for this that provides these and more functionalities:

Adobe FrameMaker Publishing Server (2017 release)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines