• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hiding object during rendertime BUT STILL effecting the final result - shadow casting

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just found out about Substance 3D Stager about how it could replace our current workflow for some jobs. But there is 1 major feature that seems to be missing, that is the ability to have an object in your scene which casts shadows over other models BUT that object itself may not be visible in the final render. It may only influence the lighting result without itself being visible in the final render. This is vitally important for realistically compositing 3D models in a picture background where you need to simulate the lighting/shadow situation of that picture.

A good example is: The background picture has a tree where the sun creates a defined shadow pattern of the leaves/branches on the ground. I now want to insert a 3d model in that shadow area under the tree where that shadow pattern should be projected on my 3d object. So I should put a 3d tree in the exact same spot of the tree in our picture to simlate that shadow pattern, so far no problem, BUT now I want our original tree of the picture and not our 3D tree in the render so I should be able to have my 3d tree in Stager to be switched off to invisible when rendered to final result.

Of course a workaround is just rendering it WITH that 3d tree and mask it out in Photoshop but Stager should have the possibilty to enable that feature directly.

We do architectural 3D staging in both exterior and interior scenes where many times we encounter this situation of having the need to hide objects but which still influence the lighting when we recreate/simulate the scene (lighting) of the background picture. Like a "shadow catcher" in some sense...

Thank you kindly for really considering this feature. Would make us switch software 🙂

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Hi @jorgedwThank you for sharing your feedback about Stager!  I've shared your feature request with the team for consideration and planning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
3 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jorgedwThank you for sharing your feedback about Stager!  I've shared your feature request with the team for consideration and planning. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @AEllard thank you. I attached some example which clearly illustrates what I mean 🙂 

Thank you! Stager_Request.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2023 Mar 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's exactly what I also need for my daily job. I have to place signage (with and without light) on buildings and I need a material, that only receives shadows. Nothing else. I know this kind of materials from a few other 3D Tools.

Shouldn't be that hard to integrate. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Resources