• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2024 Illustrator no longer expands pattern with expand>fill

New Here ,
May 24, 2024 May 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a rectangle with a pattern fill. When I go to Object>Expand>Fill it simply groups the rectangle, saving the pattern fill. I tried updating to most recent version (28.5), but did not fix the issue. Any other workarounds? I suppose I could edit with an old version of illustrator, but it's annoying.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After Expanding it is still clipped and grouped.

Did you check Outline Preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use Object>Flatten Transparency it will expand the pattern fill.

Edit: The first time that I tried expanding a rectangle with a pattern fill it did not expand the pattern which is why I suggested Flatten Transparency. I went back to Illustrator after I posted and tried using Object>Expand and this time it did expand the pattern (which can be seen in Outline mode). What I did notice was that using Object>Expand Illustrator expanded the pattern well beyond the limit of the original rectangle. With Flatten Transparency the pattern was clipped to only the original rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flatten transparency isn't working for me either, it remains an editable pattern. Even if it did work, it isn't what I want. I want to expand the pattern into editable vector objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First Expand appearance if Expand is not active, then Expand. Works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines