Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.ai and .psd preview on Windows 10

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm currently using a Mac but i will soon be working on PC: I was wondering if it was possible to previex the .psd and .ai files directly in the file explorer of Windows 10, without having to open them in Photoshop or Illustrator (as we can be done on OSX thanks to the spacebar)? It would be a great time saver!

Thank you,

Clara

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

In the Windows Explorer in Windows 10, you can see previews for a variety of file types by going to the View tab and turning on the Preview pane. You can preview .ai files but not .psd files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

You can always use Adobe Bridge to accurately preview these files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLVED!!!!

Use this 3rd party software:

http://www.ardfry.com/psd-codec/

IT WORKS. Finally fixed ! 😄

<NOTE: this one is free from microsoft - https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/file-viewer-plus-4/9NMSDKXC9R3F?hl=en-us&gl=us  added by kglad>

*** Rig: Win10 Pro. 64 RAM. RTX 2080 Ti. Intel i9 9900k. 4K monitor. Lastest updates. Lastest drivers. ***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

$19.95 to a 3rd party just to be able to see my files. 

Slow hand clap Windows dev team - if one even exists anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 30, 2022 May 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya. Agree. But it is well worth the 20 dollars 🙂 Still very happy i found a solution to this - even at that cost.

*** Rig: Win10 Pro. 64 RAM. RTX 2080 Ti. Intel i9 9900k. 4K monitor. Lastest updates. Lastest drivers. ***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2022 Oct 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All other amswers in this thread in INCORRECT. 
1. Bridge is a wrong answer as it does NOT open from within Windows 10 
2. Sage thumbs is not the right option and and many limitations

The ONLY solution (and I have tried them all) is PSD CODEC (http://www.ardfry.com/psd-codec/)

That will preview AI and PSD and everything else from with Windows 10 explorer.

THIS is the ONLY correct answer. Cheers 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 03, 2022 Oct 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that will probably work, but why on earth should we have to spend money on a third party codec just to preview Adobe files. It is absolutely ridiculous! 

Clearly there IS a solution - a codec exists, and yet - despite YEARS of customers complaining about this ludicrous issue, Windows/Adobe do absolutely nothing to fix it. 

It's so aggregiously annoying that it might actually determine my decision to move back to Mac. I find Windows fine when using applications, but as an operating system it is so teeth grindingly god awful at times. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree! 🙂 But this is the only 100% working solution. It cost a small amout of money - and will make your life a lot easier. But shame on Windows dev team 🙂

Also Windows 10 can good when you have tweaked it. Out of the box Windows 10 is sh#t! But I would take a tweaked Win 10 over Mac OS any day. 🙂 But at the end of the day both Windows and Mac are pretty equal - both have big flaws. However I wish Windows Dev team a just a little bit of passion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tweaked and customised Windows hugely. It is set up as best as I can to specifically suit my workflow and how I use my applications. Compared to Mac OS, Windows is absolute garbage. I've got 25 years experience using both operating systems professionally. The loops you need to jump through to do the most basic things on Windows is absolutely infuriating, and it has always been / continues to be buggy as hell. Nothing ever works properly. I despise windows, but because I need to utlise Nvidia graphics in my work, I am annoyingly stuck with it, but if I can figure out a way of doing some of my work slightly differently I will go back to Mac OS in a heartbeat. I never have any issues whatsoever on Macs and workflow is how it should be - intuitive and effortlessly straightforward. I dont need a degree in computer science to find a file on a Mac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I co-sign this comment 100%.  The only thing that keeps me using Windows is the cost of Macs.  My first PC was a Mac back in 1993 but I've used both over a long career in graphic design. I always loved and enjoyed using Macs.  Before OS X, MacOS and Windows were very similar.  OS X though was a gamechanger.  But, the one thing where Windows is certainly better is in backwards compatibility.  I can run ancient software on Windows 10.  That is out of the question on MacOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mystic Thumbs works also.  It costs about $45.00 but it previews almost everything rather than just a couple Adobe formats so I think its a better buy than $20.00 for PSD Codec.  I'm not sure about performance with Mystic Thumbs though.  Windows itself is so crappy that its hard to say what causes the performance issues. Obviously, if Windows is not previewing anything it is faster but its performance is still sluggish to me.  Also, eventually, support runs out for Mystic Thumbs and you will probably need to upgrade and pay again.  So, Apple wins all day in this category. It natively previews everything, smoothly and at no extra cost. The only problem is the cost of the Mac itself.  But Windows is so awful, its really pushing me back towards Macs.  I just can't justify the price.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 04, 2022 Oct 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Bridge is a wrong answer as it does NOT open from within Windows 10'

Of course Bridge opens in windows 10 , I use it here all the time. Please do not make such misleading statements

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously this is not what they meant. They meant that Bridge is not a "native" windows application - ie Bridge is not part of windows file viewer, it's an entirely separate application. Therefore it is not a solution. I do not want to have to open bridge simply to preview my files on the go. It is beyond ludicrous that this is even a conversation. Put it this way: I can see a thumbnail image of every single Adobe file on my Mac. Why can't I on my Windows PC? Is it 2022 or 1995? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'I can see a thumbnail image of every single Adobe file on my Mac. Why can't I on my Windows PC? Is it 2022 or 1995?'

Because Microsoft do not build the required codecs into their operating system

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hallelujah! The penny has FINALLY dropped for you Dave. This is the entire point of this post. Windows, get your damn finger out and make it work. We are sick and tired of asking. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

'The penny has FINALLY dropped for you Dave'

Wrong . I've understood this for years. If you want Microsoft Windows to work differently, post your request in a Microsoft forum.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NathanOdellin wrote:

I can see a thumbnail image of every single Adobe file on my Mac. Why can't I on my Windows PC? Is it 2022 or 1995? 

The "why" is because Apple chose to build the previews into macOS and Microsoft did not. You can make a feature request on a Microsoft forum.

Until or if Microsoft decides to make this part of Windows OS, your choices are to use Adobe Bridge or install one of several codecs to allow you to see the previews in Windows File Explorer. 

EDIT: I couldn't see Dave's reply while I was typing.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me refrase that then - Adobe Bridge does not integrate with Windows explorer and is a thirdparty software (and slow at that too). The initial question goes towards previewing files and showing the contens of said files in thumbnails directly in windows explorer. Bridge does not do that. Better? 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found FastPictureViewer Codec Pack and haven't looked back since.

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines