Exit

AI to PS Paste - No Dialog for Color

Contributor ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2015 iMac

Photoshop and illustrator cc 2017

Maybe I'm just not remembering this correctly, but I could have sworn I used to get a dialog box…

In both illustrator and Photoshop, under color settings, both are set to preserve embedded profiles but also all three "ask" boxes are checked, specifically in this case, "ask when pasting".

When I paste from illustrator to Photoshop, I do get the dialog box that asks if I want to paste as pixels, smart object, paths,  but I don't get the "color space mismatch" dialog box.

When pasting between Photoshop documents, I get the mismatch dialogue.  When pasting between illustrator documents, I get the dialog box.  But when pasting from illustrator to Photoshop or Photoshop to illustrator, I do not get the profile mismatch dialog box.

Has it always been like that? Am I just imagining that i used to get that warning?

I have done a "purge all" in Photoshop and have reset the preferences in both AI and PS.  Am I just missing something here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, no one has ever pasted from AI to PS with different color spaces?

Please, SOMEONE with a PC and the most recent version of AI & PS CC2017 paste from AI to PS w/ different color spaces and see if you get the "Profile Mismatch" dialog. I would but I can't without a PC. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not test it on a PC, but on a Mac I do not get a warning dialog.

If the Photoshop color settings are different and you copy something from Illustrator, and create a new Photoshop document, the new document gets the color profile from the Illustrator document.

If it is an existing Photoshop document with a different color profile that you paste into, you get no warning, but the pasted object gets converted to the color profile from the Photoshop document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ton Frederiks wrote:

If it is an existing Photoshop document with a different color profile that you paste into, you get no warning, but the pasted object gets converted to the color profile from the Photoshop document.

Right, that's what I'm getting, I just thought that in the past you got a warning box, though I could be mistaken, or am just remembering it incorrectly since you DO get the warning pasting AI to AI or PS to PS.

I'm also assuming that your 'Edit > Color Settings > Conversion Options' is what is used for the conversion? So if I wanted to paste into an existing PS file from AI, all conversion is handled with those settings, including Engine, Intent, BPC, Dither (plus 'Compensate for Scene-referenced Profiles', which is a mystery to me, but I haven't looked into it at all).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do not have older versions of Photoshop installed (with the exception of Photoshop 1.0, but there is no color management in there), so I cannot test that.

Yes the conversion gets handled according to the options from the color settings.

The 'Compensate for Scene-referenced Profiles” seems to be for video files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines