Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Artboard rotation in illustrator? [LOCKED]

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is it possible to rotate canvas/artboard like in Photoshop when you are drawing? When I draw in Photoshop, I press 'r' for several times to rotate artboard to draw some lines easier but is it possible to rotate artboard for several times and then pressing esc for getting a normal orientation.

By the way, drawing seems to be different in illustrator than in Photoshop - I found blob tool with pressure sensitive quite handy but still the drawing is clumsier than in Photoshop, just making line art. any tips and tricks?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

You can't rotate the canvas in AI and on some very basic level you have a misunderstanding about vector artwork. This stuff isn't "drawn" in the traditional sense, it's "constructed" indirectly by defining paths, boundaries and positions where stuff appears on top of which the fills, strokes, patterns etc. are applied that define the actual rendered appearance. Of course AI does have e.g. bristle brushes for "painting", but aside from getting you in all kinds of trouble once they are converted t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

This feature is now part of Illustrator 25.3.1 release available in Creative Cloud Desktop from 21 June 2021 - https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/rotate-view.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been about two years now and there have been many updates. There was just an Adobe CC update today. I didn't see the feature. @ADOBE Is this still in the works? Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can track the feature request here:

Illustrator - Rotation of the Artboard – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

It's tagged as 'Added to Backlog', but your guess is as good as mine how long that backlog is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record:

While Illustrator works differently from Photoshop, there are many situations where this would be useful. In my case: I have a template which must be oriented a certain way for a printer, but I want to create 90° rotated from that. Of course I could make a new template rotated 90°, but it would be super convenient to not have to do that. It would make it far easier to visualize the work I want to do on screen.

Probably useful to not be condescending about a feature that is super useful in other Adobe tools like InDesign and Photoshop, that we pay quite a lot of money for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@INDHD Yes, but unfortunately some of the Adobe reps only know how to be condescending. Rather than trying to understand a person's reasoning, they tend to instead talk down to people. I too would prefer a rotate canvas option that also rotates the artwork at the same time. For example, when provided a template from a print shop that is upside down. Rotating the canvas and then rotating the artwork doesn't seem to maintain the alignment of the artwork. Not sure why, but it doesn't. Seems to me that this is definitely a needed feature. It's like with Adobe's doing away with "cmd h" command to allow users to hide the inverted text selection box when cycling through fonts or adjusting kerning. Rather than the Adobe reps agreeing that this feature ommission is dumb, and maybe assisting with getting the feature back, instead they recommend turning off GPU processing. Which of course is obviously not a logical solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I too would prefer a rotate canvas option that also rotates the artwork at the same time."

Please vote on the Uservoice page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see that one can't rotate an artboard in AI.  But your editorial about misunderstanding vector artwork because one might want to is absurd.  I'm working on a box design right now.  The back flaps have to be oriented differently than the front ones.  Without being able to rotate the artboards, I have to design the text and images on the backflap flipped left to right and upside down.  While that might have worked for Leonardo, it's not ideal for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old thread. Posting feature requests in the forum on top of that won't help.

If you want to make your voice count, please do post a feature request or add your voice to an already existing one (and I'm sure there is one) on http://illustrator.uservoice.com

That is the place where the developers read. And they do read and follow up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears people at Adobe aren't on the same page when it comes to bug reports. Here an Adobe admin by the name of Bruce Bullis said just a couple of weeks ago not to post bugs in the UserVoice "bug report" pages when someone asked why feature requests and bug reports can't be searched separately: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911356-cross-application-workflows/suggestions/35189131-ple...

Honestly I'm not even sure it's even worth the time reporting bugs. We're told the developers take the reports seriously, yet. I've been asking for fixes to countless bugs for months now. Every attempt goes unanswered or unfixed (phone, chat, forums). Since I "hijacked" this thread I've removed the rest of my "rant" pertaining to the confusing nature of the Adobe feedback system and the failure to address frequent bugs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bugs and feature requests are separate on Illustrator's uservoice site:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2020 May 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It appears people at Adobe aren't on the same page when it comes to bug reports. "

Each team handles it differently.

And again: posting this in the Illustrator forum makes no sense whatsoever. At least when your goal is to get it fixed.

If all you want to do is rant, then at least please don't hijack other peoples' threads for your rant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found this thread faster than the uservoice post. From 2016. 500+ votes! Looking for an updates from Adobe about this!

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-feature-requests/suggestions/19196641-il...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This feature is now part of Illustrator 25.3.1 release available in Creative Cloud Desktop from 21 June 2021 - https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/rotate-view.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines