• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

assets export panel assets with clipping paths not exporting correctly.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2016 Jun 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple image with a clipping mask applied. I can either choose to add it to the new Assets Export panel or select it and right click and choose export selections. Either way, the exported PNG (in this case) does not crop to the clipping path. The image being masked is what is setting the exported PNG size with transparency to the clipping mask shape. See the attached image. Masked out one pastry from a large group but the export is surrounded by transparency that is the size of the masked image and not the size of the circle mask.

Anyone have a solution for this? Asset 9.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah....it's an ongoing issue. Adobe like adding new things but I guess they never read this stuff. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump, looking forward to the day they fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bump Again - I'm also waiting for more than 1,5 years to fix this crazy bug!
It's only usable for some icons and shapes, but don't ever use a clipping mask! (lol)

Adobe? Where are your priotities and focus?

Spark, Muse, Character Animator, Portfolio, Dimension... All fun and all, but most things they try to solve, have already been solved by many others... in different ways, and often (not always) with better quality.

Illustrator on the other hand, is something else. It's thé tool to create professional UI's, Website designs and more. Please give it the focus and attention it needs, or you will loose foothold here (as well)

You, Adobe, have chosen for a subscription model, and we're paying almost €800 a year - for regular updates and improvements, which offcourse we did get here and there. But in my opinion, this should very much also include bug-fixes - esspecially bugs which are old and which do frustrate a lot of users, every day!. We, Illustrator users, are not waiting (nor paying) for the next prototype software for some complete different niche/market - we want Illustrator to be the best it can be!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had to lead a brief class today, where I was helping my team of developers - most with Sketch experience - learn the workflow for defining and exporting assets from Illustrator.  We ran into this problem.  Needless to say, it didn't sway any opinions away from Sketch.  It's pretty incredible that we're going on two years with this problem - and it is a REAL problem - and it hasn't been addressed.  C'mon, man.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tweet it to @dobe and @adobecare

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem, but with CLIPPING MASK on VECTOR artwork. This makes ASSET EXPORT more or less useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a few years of dealing with this. Seems like such a simple fix. If artboards can respect crop box boundaries, so can the Asset Export panel. Illustrator updates seem to come fast and frequently now that Creative Cloud is a clear success... can we *please* get this fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2018 Jun 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW!  This is pretty bad.  And to have gone on for so long!  I had walked away from Illustrator 25 years ago but decided to try it again in 2017.  Still, after so long, Illustrator is still a beast for countless reasons.  This company moves to slow.  I will suggest people avoid it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity designer will open your ilustrator file and let you export what you need. Shame on Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uvee  schrieb

Affinity designer will open your ilustrator file and let you export what you need. Shame on Adobe.

Affinity Designer will not open your Illustrator file. It will open the embedded PDF.

Also it will only export this correctly if you create a slice first. Same with Illustrator: create a slice and it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Yes technically you are correct, but the process its faster using the help of another tool like Affinity. In my case I need a faster process because I have to slice a lot of elements.

So what I have to do in Illustrator, please correct me, is to draw the slice around the shape? yes? I didn't find something like "create slide from selected shape". If I create the slice using "slice > create form selection" then I need to edited and trim the slice to the exact shape.

In Affinity I just select the shape or the group and right click for create slide and export. Its faster for me.

I love Illustrator, but its a simple step that is not working they way should be, and is a pain for a web designer with a lot of shapes to slice. Hope Adobe fix this or at least let us import the .ai file on xd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

uvee  schrieb

Hope Adobe fix this

That would be nice indeed.

But in order to have them do that, please post over there: http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

Many have done this, even years ago.

It's beyond me how this annoying bug still isn't fixed, almost two years after the first post here.

'Funny' detail is that i have used multiple channels to post/report this bug, but every system is (eventually) referring to another system, and when you get send here, you can read (multiple) Adobe team members redirecting people back to another system (again).

Great to see there have been systems designed to report bugs, but it's useless if posting on all channels still does not help, the bug remains, and still new people are posting this problem (again and again), even after sooo long.

What Adobe needs is a repository/overview/roadmap website (just one(!), central system) where bugs can be found and where users can see if this bug was validated, or if the team has started working on it, or ideally when we can expect a fix. Currently everybody repeats the problem and no one knows what the status is, when (or even IF) this will get fixed within the next couple of years...

Adobe has a strong ecosystem and some pretty amazing software (and still some unique tools), but running into the wall over and over again will probably stimulate (new) users to find solutions in other software. A really dangerous way to go for the long term if you ask me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm that this is still a super-painful issue in Illustrator CC 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have thought this seamed wrong for some time and finaly now googled the isue. Rediculus they don't fix it or ad a check box in the asset exporter window...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our experience is that this issue had been fixed about a year ago but now seems to have reappeared, which is unhelpful to say the least. I'm surprised that others hadn't seen any improvement. We use this feature regularly and it's not usually possible to use artboard dimensions to restrain the crop so it wastes a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How can this issue be back?! Damn you Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines