Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attempting to slice a circle...

Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I need the other side of the circle to show using the clipping mask. I have a sample of my images below and the results, how can I invert that image? OMG I have worked on it for two hours. Help, T

Treza500_0-1627962106562.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Treza,

My suggestion was to start over with the circle, also without the Clipping Path.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Divide from Pathfinder tools. Red circle.

1- Select all the parts.
2- Click Divide.
3- Issue the ungroup command. Parts will be separate.

It can also be done with different tools. I suggested this because it was practical.

Ekran Resmi 2021-08-03 11.45.30.png

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Treza,

As I (mis)understand it, you can use Minus front, second Shape mode from the left in the Pathfinder panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Treza,

Or if you wish to keep the original circle and make the hiding reversible, instead of the Clipping Mask you can use the Opacity Mask (Transparency panel) with both Clip and Invert Mask unticked.

That will hide the part of the circle within the rectangle/Mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jacob. Done.

How can I join the circle and the line.I want to make it one object. There is a reason why I need to create the Omega symbol instead of purchase a vector.  TU

Treza500_0-1627991802653.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Treza,

I presume you need both legs/feet of the Omega.

In that case you can:

0) Create the circle (you have that);

1) Create an angular path with the desired width (from the leftmost edge to the desired cut of the circle and the same height, then left align it with the circle and place it vertically as desired relative to the circle (the surplus going up past the circle);

2) Reflect a copy of the angular path from 2) horizontally (vertical axis), then right align it with the circle;

3) Use the Shape Builder or Divide + Unite (under pathfinder), deleting the unwanted bits and uniting the wanted bits.

For the Shape Builder you can have a look here and/or here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/creating-shapes-shape-builder-tool.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/atv/cs5-tutorials/creating-complex-art-with-the-shape-builder-to...

For Divide and Unite see the leftmost among the Pathfinders/Shape Modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not try the divide and unite, but I'll try that now. The shapebuilder did not work, but I did use it previously for anothet area and it worked.

I'm so close!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Treza,

It is crucial that the leg/foot is a fill/no stroke path like the circle, and not a stroke/no fill path.

Your image in the other thread shows stroke/no fill paths for the leg/foot paths.

So you need to create the first leg/foot as a fill/no stroke path, which is the simplest way because you work with the actual measures and positions/alignment.

Or do what Doug said over there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I join the circle and the line? I want to make it one object. There is a reason why I need to create the Omega symbol instead of purchase a vector.  TU

Treza500_0-1627993597458.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select all and use the Join command (Object > Path > Join).

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/adjust-path-segments.html#:~:text=Join%20two%20or%20more%2....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, hello, can my points be joined? I tried that earlier, it states "must select open end points" TU

Treza500_0-1627994946731.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is that? Please show the layers panel. There seems to be a mask involved or whatnot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not 100% sure what your circle construction is as Monika says, but if it were just shapes I would:

1. Select your line (not the circle part) and use Object > Path > Outline Stroke

2. Select everything.

3. Use shape builder tool (Shift+M) to join the discrete shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug, hello, I followed your instructions exactly, but shapes did not join. TU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show the outcome.

Also, show the layers panel entry for the circle shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not create on layers. Is that easy to do after the fact? TU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you mean by that. Every object is in the layers panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @Doug A Roberts suggest 

1. Select your line (not the circle part) and use Object > Path > Outline Stroke

Then select all objects and use Shape Builder tool to merge them and remove parts from object that you not needed

How to create shapes using the Shape Builder tool in Illustrator (adobe.com)

Also you can use Merge option from pathfinder panel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, after I join the follwing happens to the Omega image. It shouldn't be this difficult. I tried also using the shape bulder tool, nothing....

Treza500_1-1628022196496.png

Treza500_3-1628022299749.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Treza,

Did you try my suggestion in your earlier thread?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/attempting-to-slice-a-circle/m-p/12226151#M286117

Here it is again:

I presume you need both legs/feet of the Omega.

In that case you can:

0) Create the circle (you have that);

1) Create an angular path with the desired width (from the leftmost edge to the desired cut of the circle and the same height, then left align it with the circle and place it vertically as desired relative to the circle (the surplus going up past the circle);

2) Reflect a copy of the angular path from 2) horizontally (vertical axis), then right align it with the circle;

3) Use the Shape Builder or Divide + Unite (under pathfinder), deleting the unwanted bits and uniting the wanted bits.

For the Shape Builder you can have a look here and/or here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/creating-shapes-shape-builder-tool.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/atv/cs5-tutorials/creating-complex-art-with-the-shape-builder-to...

For Divide and Unite see the leftmost among the Pathfinders/Shape Modes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, divide and unite just deleted the legs and shape builder did nothing, but I'd used the shape builder on another area and that worked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Treza,

It is crucial that the leg/foot is a fill/no stroke path like the circle, and not a stroke/no fill path.

Your image shows stroke/no fill paths for the leg/foot paths.

So you need to create the first leg/foot as a fill/no stroke path, which is the simplest way because you work with the actual measures and positions/alignment.

Or do what Doug said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear: you need to use outline stroke on these parts before using shape builder:

Treza500_3-1628022299749.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doug, I converted the legs to outline stroke, but when I use the shape builder it does not work on the circle, circle is a clipping path. TU!

Treza500_0-1628080605923.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see why you've done it, but the circle does not need to be in a clipping path.

Release the clipping path and delete it; use shape builder on the circle and the 'leg' parts. Remove the central bottom part by alt-clicking with shape builder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines