Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch Convert WMF to AI or EPS

Participant ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Not sure if this question has been answered anywhere else as I could not find the exact answer on the forums. I plan to batch convert many older WMF (Window Metafiles) files from a CD to either an AI or an EPS file using Illustrator so that I can preview them in Windows 10. It does not allow you to preview the WMF, but I can with an older Version on InDesign CS6 so initial viewing and organizing is not the concern. I just can't do that in InDesign CC. What I would like to know is in Illustrator CC 2018, what vector version would you recommend to convert the files to retain the "best" quality? AI or EPS?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Save the files as AI. The EPS format is ancient.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save the files as AI. The EPS format is ancient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll I think for the most part it is correct and a good idea. However that does assume that you will only ever open the file with Adobe Illustrator and never with another type of software. Not all programs will open an AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need the files for use in other applications, then save them in the PDF file format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need to edit and re-use the EPS art files for other programs save them as EPS. EPS is a good format and many apps use it. DO NOT SAVE as a PDF. The PDF convertion will rip apart your text objects, will outline some text objects, and sometimes will drop special characters. AI is also an old format just for Adobe apps. EPS is the better way to go. I have been using Illustrator since 1992 and have delt with EPS file issues for 30 years. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI is also an old format just for Adobe apps. EPS is the better way to go.

By @thomasb14279947

The last time, the EPS file received any update was in 1997.

The AI file format is adjusted with every new Illustrator version.

EPS will fail when there is transparency used in the file.

You're correct that PDF might cause ripped apart text objects, but that depends on which app you use the file in. Affinity Designer can preserve the text. CorelDRAW can even import native AI files.

EPS can still be used for old equipment (laser cutter, milling etc.), but that's about it.

If you don't believe me, you might want to listen to Dov Isaacs and other folks: https://printplanet.com/threads/the-case-against-the-eps-file.268330/ 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/creating-eps-with-transparent-gradient/m-p/10778...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Context 1: You don't normally send EPS files to the printer for publishing. You usually send PDFs to the printer. I have made techart and covers in Adobe Illustrator since 2004. Had no problems. EPS art goes into InDesign, XML publishing systems, or a different pub app. Then a PDF is made. If anything does not look right, troubleshoot it. You cannot insert .AI files into many publishing apps. Arbortext will not accept .AI for my use. Therefore EPS must be used in my case. In addition, I have transparency/opacity work-a-rounds.
Context 2: I use .AI files to make my covers. I have seen odd feathering trancparency issues with .AI files when outputting to PDF format for the printer. It's an odd Adobe bug I have to troubleshoot too.
Your context is different. Next time please state your context because I agree that complex EPS files with transparencies can be an issue, but EPS art with solid non-trancparent colors are not an issue for myself and many other people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that complex EPS files with transparencies can be an issue,

By @thomasb14279947

EPS does not support transparency at all. So it's not that it "can be an issue", but it's impossible.

Next time you should post your context. You wrote "EPS is a good format and many apps use it. DO NOT SAVE as a PDF. " Which is just wrong. The workflow in Adobe software is based on PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote: "EPS is a good format and many apps use it. DO NOT SAVE as a PDF. "
You wrote: Which is just wrong. 
Context: Note that I did not mean this as a black and white issue for never save as a PDF.
Context A: If the master file is made in Illustrator, then that one of many proper reasons to use a PDF output for the printer vendor to use.
Context B: If you have a small EPS art file w/o transparencies and save as a PDF then import the PDF into a desktop publishing app, then that is a waste of time. In adition, if you save the EPS as a PDF file in the wrong way it rips apart the text objects and oddly groups the art objects making it hard to edit.
Context C: If the EPS file has transparencies and needs to go into a desktop publishing app, then saving it correctly as an editible PDF is a good way to go.
It is all dependent on context. 
This is a gray issue, not black and white.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote: "EPS is a good format and many apps use it. DO NOT SAVE as a PDF. "
You wrote: Which is just wrong. 
Context: Note that I did not mean this as a black and white issue for never save as a PDF.

By @thomasb14279947

Then I would suggest you don't write it as such.

"Context B: If you have a small EPS art file w/o transparencies and save as a PDF then import the PDF into a desktop publishing app, then that is a waste of time. In adition, if you save the EPS as a PDF file in the wrong way it rips apart the text objects and oddly groups the art objects making it hard to edit."

I am regularly re-saving EPS as AI with embedded PDF. I don't consider it a waste of time, since it has happened too often that InDesign crashed on me because of EPS files. (yes, it's sure that it was caused by the EPS)

When you save them as AI (PDF compatible), then you have an editable file that contains the structure and still has the PDF for using it in the other apps.

"Context C: If the EPS file has transparencies"

EPS doesn't support transparency. If there is transparency in your file, you are actually not working with an EPS. Probably there's an AI file embedded in your EPS in the private data fork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I not sure why you are having so many problems with your EPS files, but I and the company I work for are not. In the context that I use EPS files, AI files, PDF files, they work for me. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines