• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best way to apply logo to drink tumbler

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2017 Aug 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure which effect to use to apply a logo to the front of a tumbler/glass.

Is there a quick way to accomplish this such that the logo appears to wrap around the sides of the tumbler?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,
Aug 23, 2017 Aug 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To better advise you - it would help if you showed us both a photo of the tumbler and the logo.

As there are often many ways in Illustrator (like most Adobe programs) to accomplish the same thing - often with similar results...

However IMHO...Some results work better than others though depending on your needs.

Best,

EW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure which effect to use to apply a logo to the front of a tumbler/glass.

Is there a quick way to accomplish this such that the logo appears to wrap around the sides of the tumbler.

The tumbler image on the right is manufacturer provided image showing a logo on it. The tumbler on the left is a blank tumbler

with my MCI logo I am trying to give the same effect as on the right.

1dtm-gl16bl.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob mentioned 3D mapping. Here's a way to try that:

1. Drag a copy of your logo graphic to the Symbols panel to create a Symbol (choose the Graphic and Static options)...
  2. With the image of the tumbler Placed on an Illustrator artboard, use the Pen tool to trace a path down one side, approximating the contour of the thing...
  3. Use Shift+Pen to add a horizontal top and bottom...
  4. Apply Effect > 3D > Revolve...
  5. In the 3D revolve Option dialog, if necessary, click More Options, then Preview, then the Map Art button...
  6. Find the desired surface and choose your logo symbol from the Symbol menu...
  7. To separate the logo symbol from its 3D-mapped position, choose Object > Expand Appearance..., then Ungroup until the distorted logo is a lone object. Delete or hide the 3D tumbler-proxy and set the logo on the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Douglas,

The term

appears to wrap

might lead to a suggestion of mapping on a 3D rendering or something like Effect>Warp>Arch.

Actual wrapping for live use may call for an Effect>Warp>Arc.

And what EW said.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way I've found is to use Object>Envelope Distort>Make with Warp or Make with Mesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are you referring to wrapping the logo to a drawing or photo as John demonstrated?

Or are you looking at distorting the logo so it looks right when applied to an actual tumbler/glass?

I pretty sure the two would need to be done totally differently to compensate for the slight cone shape on a real tumbler. I know there are special Plugins that are made for the packaging industry for this issue. But packaging is out of my area of expertise.

I'm just guessing here, but I think if you used John's method describe above, but mapped the logo upside down you would get the correct results for an actual tumbler/glass.

Just think about this gave me a headache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines