Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2023 Mar 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thread moved front Fonts to Photoshop by moderator

[Moved by different moderator to Illustrator because the OP has said

repeatedly that this is an Illustrator question and not a Photoshop question]

Hello everyone,

Recently I updated my programs to the 23 version and now I can't bevel or emboss my fonts. It now opens up a more complicated version that takes forever to just open and load. The amount of settings is a cool option but I can't just add a simple one anymore without having to go through a bunch of settings. Even making changes makes it load all over agian with the preview activated to see what I am doing. Is there anyway to just use the older version where it had all the edits on the same pop up window and can access them all right there without having to use the entire 3D set up that was added? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Just make a festure request

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but just makes it just as user unfriendly to have a massive assortment in a folder somewhere.

By @Gary25928055l9ps

You can use the panel menu to save the document as a library, then open that library from the panel menu and make it persistent so it is always open.

Some tips:

• Libraries are Illustrator documents with a .ai exension, and can be edited.
  • All Illustrator files are libraries and can be opened as a library from the styles panel menu. This is how we did it before it was an option in the panel menu.
  • A quick way to bring a style into another document is to copy and paste.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I clicked the bevel to edit it, it did not let me. Also creating that many otpions in my library makes the feature completely useless as I would need to have the style already. So your suggestion is to stockpile them and have a library of each of the options that should just be easily available saved into my library by opening up Illustrator twice, one for my project and one to get samples of bevels to use in the other. I need to see what it looks like on my project to see if I need to change it. Your way changes the loading time problem for making it extremely tedious. 7 types of bevels with 100 width and length options, 10 repeat options and inside or inside/outside bevel setting. The settings allow for 1,400,000 options that I would need to save as styles. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I still need to open up the same problem to make any adjustments or changes to it based on the same project wanting to be edited or if I need a different kind of bevel on any other project piece.

By @Gary25928055l9ps

So first you wanted all of those things gone and I showed you a way to get that. And now you want them applied again? Just open the 3D & materials panel and edit what you want. I'm really not sure what you are discussing about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO I DO NOT. Where did I say that? It just does. Everything you guys are suggesting involves doing exactly what I am asking how to avoid. I click on bevel and it applies everything but bevel in the entire panel to it that I need to go shut off. How do I get the program to not do that because many times I don't even get to shut them off because the program loads until it crashes or makes it load again with the slightest adjustment. This was my original post and question is how do I get those either shut off or get bevel to apply independently so I can use it? Making a library of options still requires me to open it and not test it in my project as that is apparently too much for the program to handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, go to the help menu and click on About Illy so you can get the exact version you are using. And tell us.

Second, when you updated, did you keep a copy of the previous version that worked for you? If so, open that version and take a sceen shot of the Bevel and/or Emboss panel(s) you were using and post them here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Specified the version and not what I am asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So since noone on this entire thread can understand a simple question, I will spell it out as absolutely simple as I can. Open illustrator. Put any text in a text box. Click "Effects." Click "3D and Materials." Click "Extrude & Bevel." If it applies anything to your text by just opening up this panel, that is my problem. It is causing the program to load poorly or crash just clicking "Extrude & Bevel" especially if I am in the middle of a project that I have been working on. My simple question is when I click "Extrude & Bevel," how do I either default all settings to something I set it to or not apply anything upon opening this panel. I don't want you to chime in for work around that take more time to make than the whole rest of the project after loading. If you can not do anything about this, just say that it sucks and is just part of how it was meant to function poorly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't default all settings to a minimum,

The best you can do is trying the suggestion from Monika and the others and make the "minima" a graphic style or use libraries. Not too complicated.
If the solution doesn't satisfy you (and you have every right not to be satisfied), I would suggest you open a feature request.
https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an answer as I have already stated that you still have to open it just to set one, just one, up and that is my question. I even elaboratly explained why and it still doesn't seem to matter as I can't save every single one I use ever and I have no intention to do so since the feature shoulod just work without using multiple other features to compensate for what this feature is suppose to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public forum and 95% of people are not even staff. What you read in this thread is everything we can offer for help. If you need more then you will need to make a feature request as Imaginerie has already written. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2023 May 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you but I know this was a community driven forum. THe problem is with opeing it even once, so the responses and "fixes" don't work as I can't get it to open in the first place to save it and I can't save every iteration I may ever use to fix this. What I get from this is that yes, the feature is designed to have this problem and the only work arounds are to plow through this problem and maybe I will eventually use the exact same patch I save. There is no fix to making the opening easier, just like how downloading fonts takes forever with no explaination or eta on fixing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make a festure request

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm late to this, but I'm interested in the initial post mentioning a 'simple' bevel separate from the 3D options. When asked about that initially, you posted a Photoshop screenshot. So I'm not clear what this 'simple' bevel from 'the older version' of Illustrator was. Could you elaborate on that a bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines