• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blending Modes in PNG Export

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I have an extremely basic question (I'm very new to Illustrator). I've purchased an .eps stock image and have gone into Illustrator to isolate it from the background to use as a .png element in After Effects (about the extent of my AI knowledge so far). However, the layers all have varying degrees of transparency and different blending modes, so when I turn off the background layer, it throws everything out of whack. Is there a way I can export some version of the image without a background and retain how it's meant to look? Sorry for the total newb question. 🙂

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 12.54.57 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-12 at 12.55.08 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! The bottle just needs a white shape behind it, If u can merge a copy of the shapes using pathfiner and put it behind the bottle it should look how the original does.

GL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply! Again, extremely new here, so I'm a bit stuck again. I did manage to use Pathfinder to merge the shapes, but how do I apply that to create a white shape behind the bottle? I tried just drawing a path to create a white-filled shape, but doesn't appear to have any effect on the resultant bottle when I isolate it for png export. I really appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what settings do use when your isolating and exporting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I typically just select the group that I need in order to isolate, then Collect for Export and format as png. That's about the extent of my experience to be honest hah 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

make sure the object directly behind the object 

try mayb exporting as a selection - file- export selection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't think I was clear. I'm just having trouble copying the paths from the bottle object onto a white object to put behind the bottle. Maybe there's a step by step tutorial somewhere but my googling hasn't turned up anything that fits this situation exactly. Again, total Illustrator virgin here haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was my result when I used pathfinder to merge on a copy of the object shapes and put it behind the original 😕 Clearly doing something wrong here. Any and all help is very much appreciated, thank you!

Water_bottle_crushed_isolated_V2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These cliparts are built for ancient file format and ancvient versions of the software. They use 20 years old workarounds for functionality that cannot be easily translated into other file formats. They also rely on an object behind them.

Also: everyone of these images is built slightly differently in order to achieve a certain effect. Without having the original vector file it's close to impossible to even try and guide you. You need advanced knowledge to do it yourself.

I can't see what's wrong with the result you are showing there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information. Typically I don't have this kind of issue when just isolating and exporting the artwork out of the eps. As for the most recent image, if you expand it you can see some issues around the edges, as well as the shapes are still not blended properly compared to the original with the checkerboard background. I guess I'll try and make this work, thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Might be easier for you to bitmap the imaeg in photshop, adn thaen add yor white layer there. Clipart is often not built cleanly or logically, Since you are going to AE bitammping should not be an issue unless you are zooming in, then bitamp at a higher resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines