Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blending Modes not behaving as expected

Participant ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm using a MacPro 2019 running macOS Ventura 13.5.2 and I've recently installed the 2024 version of Illustrator and am now having issues with blending modes.

In all six images below I have the same greyscale picture overlaid on a cyan block. The only difference with each pic is the blending mode applied to the image. Multiply is the only one behaving as I would expect it to. Lighten and Screen just make the image and colour block disappear!

blending.jpg

Document is in CMYK mode.

Is there a setting that's changed in the update that I don't know about? Or am I just doing something stupid?!

Thanks in advance 🙂

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen in non-beta 2023? Try psd file format for your image.

Is working good for me  on a iMac 2016 12.6.8 Monterey on AI  2024 beta

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made the image grayscale instead of RGB or CMYK and began to happen to me also on 2024 beta. Try changing the color mode in Photoshop to anything except grayscale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike.

File format is already PSD. I've tried RGB and CMYK now for the images and get these results...

blending-modes-RGB.jpg

(This is RGB, but CMYK looks the same). So Lighten and Screen are showing better results but Colour Burn and Colour Dodge still blanked out.

I wasn't having problems like this with 2023. Will reinstall 2023, back save this doc and share the results...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2023 (27.9) behaving the same as above now... I had the same issue at home yesterday on my home computer, so fairly confident it's not a hardware related issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same document but with Document Colour Mode set to RGB, not CMYK as per the examples above...

blending-modes.jpg

Hopefully that helps someone figure out wha's going on!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines