Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CAD to Illustrator

Participant ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

Could anyone give me a hint how to effectively bring CAD file to Illustrator and keeping the scale right?

When Cad file sheet is A1 and in a paper space, all drawing is extended to the borders. When I open it in illustrator it seems like it is scaled down...even though the scale in illustrator pop up window is 1:1.

Thanks a lot

Kamila 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scale is somewhat irrelevant when you are working with vector because you can make it any size you want without losing anything.

It’s possible that illustrator did not recognize the artboard size of the CAD drawing and that’s why the scale looks off. Select the artboard with the artboard tool and check the size in the properties panel. You can change the artboard to A1. The drawing may be the correct size after you do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Theresa for your reply,

I have already checked the sizes of both artboard and paper space in cad. They ware the same.

Thank you

Kamila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also check to make sure the unit conversion your wanting is proper. It defaults to metric I think. I used to have that problem where it was either too big or too small. In the dialog box when opening the CAD file it'll have a scale/unit conversion box. Youll have to know what the source file was created in (in/cm/mm) just to make sure that 1 unit of its measurement is importing to the same type of unit of measurement in Ai.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, cgodepski thanks for your reply,

I Have checked the units and both files ware with the same units.

Thank you

Kamila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use to and still do to some degree CAD scaled architectural drawings in Ai by using a compatible software produced by Back Door. It worked amazingly well and was able to correctly use Scale Master for material specs. It is still an area that I am interested in but just do not have the time now. In the design business often received CAD files that need conversion to Ai and at that time it was not easy. Sure that has changed such as what Teresa and C have mentioned but until you print out you may need to adjust accordingly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kat,

Thanks for your email and suggestions. I work on an urban design project where cad layouts could be easy imported to Ai but by doing that losing the scale. I will probably adjust them manually...

Thank you.

Kamila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try if this plugin does a better job:

CAD-COMPO4 - Illustrator CAD + DXF Plugins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Monika, I  will try this.

Kamila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monika,

I have tried the plug-in you have mentioned and unfortunately I could not open or place any dxf drawings. the art board was empty.

Thank you

Kamila

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2018 Jun 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear this.

Ican't help you with the plugin. You might try their support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem thank you Monika.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Kamila,

I am just wondering if you found a solution to your scale problem? I have exactly the same issue but can´t get it right yet.

Regards,

MT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines