Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Edit Text in a Clipping Mask

Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... another bug.

In 2017 AI CC, after using a clipping mask with text on the inside, you could edit your text when you double clicked on the clipping group/mask.

Now in AI CC 2018, you can't

See my screenshot. If text is inside a clipping/group mask, when you try to edit it, the Text properties DO NOT SHOW UP on the Properties Panel.

I can open the separate Character Panel itself, but it is missing half of the setting. Why?

So, to get around this, I have to cut the text out, paste on the main layer, edit it and then cut/paste it back inside my clipping mask.

Or, release the entire mask, make my edits then re-group/mask it afterwards.

C'mon you guys... don't you even check out your work before releasing it. Geeeze.

aiskrewup.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Guide ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fwhilton  schrieb

Okay... another bug.

In 2017 AI CC, after using a clipping mask with text on the inside, you could edit your text when you double clicked on the clipping group/mask.

Now in AI CC 2018, you can't

With Windows 10 I can activate the text with a double click and edit with another double click.

See my screenshot. If text is inside a clipping/group mask, when you try to edit it, the Text properties DO NOT SHOW UP on the Properties Panel.

You are right.

I can open the separate Character Panel itself, but it is missing half of the setting. Why?

Open the character panel menu and activate the options (something like Show Options)

options.png

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can report the missing Character panel in the properties panel here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

To have Character options accesible, you could add the Control panel to your workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay... the Options in the Character Panel displays all settings.

Good. At least I can edit all the text settings.

I will submit bug... But, it's not a feature request.

They were just lazy and didn't test it afterwards

Thanks all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had a 2 month brake from designing a logo so wasn't really paying attention to the new interface but! At the moment I actually am and found the same problem as Yours - it seems that Adobe who sells User Experience App has no idea about UX. I reported several missing options or illogical placement of some functions/buttons also in other apps' forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines