• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't move objects with Selection Tool

Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I just installed Illustrator CC, which I now have on a trial license.  About an hour ago, illustrator suddenly started refusing to move any objects while I'm in the Selection Tool.  I can move the objects only in Free Transform.  I use hot keys a lot, so it's really slowing me down.  I hit "V" to click on and then move an object, and then it won't move. I get the error sound, but no dialogue box pops up to explain what the error is. 

Since I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and start paying a hefty monthly fee for this program when my trial runs out, this is pretty aggravating.  Anyone have any ideas what might have cause this?

TOPICS
Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 17, 2013 Sep 17, 2013

Sounds like there might be a hidden modal dialog open. Does hitting the Escape button do anything to free up the objects?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2017 Apr 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

andresaon  schrieb

Any solutions?

Well, yes. This thread is solved and its answer is marked clearly.

If the answer does not solve your problem, then obviously you have a completely different problem. Please create a new thread, post your system and version and describe your problem exactly. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, how rude. I don't think you are understanding what we are experiencing because it is EXACTLY the problem described. Please be nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macoadobe  schrieb

Wow, how rude. I don't think you are understanding what we are experiencing because it is EXACTLY the problem described. Please be nice.

This thread has an answer that is marked as correct (plus several other suggestions). Have you tried if one of those solves your issue? And if they don't then please describe your issue exactly ("exactly" means in a way that someone can try and reproduce your issue). But do so in your own new thread. And post system info and version info. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol who the hell patronizes someone so condescendingly as a "Adobe Community Professional." People on these threads are usually BRAND NEW. Show some empathy. Guess being that rude will leave you being a full time forum clicker.. lmfao.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and no solution,  I'm not sure what to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

schrieb

I have the same problem and no solution,  I'm not sure what to do!

Create a new thread and describe your system and version and your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a solution. I uninstalled Illustrator and then re-installed it and everything worked after that!    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what is happening with me now, did you find a solution ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

moaddakhil  schrieb

This is what is happening with me now, did you find a solution ? 

Many different problems in this thread.

Please create a new thread, describe your version and your problem.

Show screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2019 Jan 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having similar problems: the cursor turned to the black "drag" arrow, but the object wouldn't move.  Instead of shutting down the entire computer, I just saved the file, exited illustrator, and reopened the file. 

Not sure why this resolved the issue.  I'm working on a large file, and my guess is the program got overwhelmed.

Hope this helps the people, the initial answer didn't work for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone still having problems,  I was also experiencing the same issue when I noticed that my computer in general wasn't letting me move anything with the mouse pointer. Restarting solved the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my problem as well. It's not just in Illustrator itself. I'm going to restart and "clean up" my Mac....I'll keep you posted to see if this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEP!

Did a HUGE clean up (I use Clean My Mac), restarted, everything is good to go!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2017 Aug 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The toggle for Bounding boxes is Cmd + Shift + B. See if it works. It worked for me when I couldn't move the objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Cmd + Shift + B worked! Saved my sanity!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2019 Feb 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WORKED FOR ME TO, photoshop was open and as soon as everything else was closed it returned to normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2017 Aug 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just log out the program, restarted the computer and the problem was gone. Sometime the computer get stock on something, so it's better to restart the computer before making any changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue happen to me. Gash! Can believe it's 4 years since the first one who report the problem, and It still haven't solved now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2017 Sep 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I called support and they had to fix it LOL but yeah if its been 4 years thats crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem, fixed by updating my Mac OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flatten transparency

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restart worked for me. Until then I used to move with keyboard arrow buttons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should be noted, if you are using multiple adobe products, if there is a dialog box open in ANY of the programs, it can cause issues with movement and control across all of them (case in point, a dialog box in media encoder was preventing me from moving objects using the selection tool in Illustrator). Once the box is closed/issue resolved, all functionality should return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines