• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Completing a shape using a line from existing shape - pen tool

New Here ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've created another shape framed within a larger shape (highlighted path) with 3 sides. I want to complete the smaller shape with a line on side A, that follows the existing line from the larger shape. 

At the moment I'm just tracing the line with the pen tool. Is there an easier way to do this? 

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 22.58.38.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other shape should stay complete? In that case make a copy of that larger shape and then select both that copy and the new path and use the shapebuilder tool.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/creating-shapes-shape-builder-tool.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depending on what you want to do with these shapes, you could try this as one way:

Select the smaller shape and Object > Lock > Selection.

Select the larger shape and add anchor points where the smaller shape touches the lareger shape.

image.png

With the Direct Selection tool, select the anchor points on the part of the path you want to duplicate. Do not select the staert and end anchor points.

image.png

Copy the selected part of the path. Then choose Edit > Paste in Front.

image.png

Object > Unlock All.

Select the larger shape (careful not to select the copied path segment). And Object > Lock > Selection.

Select > All to select thew smaller shape and the path segment.

Object > Path > Join.

Object > Unlock All.

Now you will have two closed paths with matching edges.

Well, you may not consider this an easy way, but it will give you paths that are accurate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Connect the two points at x to another point outside both shapes (i.e. right of A), select all, copy, paste in place, pathfinder→intersect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines