Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert a Photograph into an Illustration

New Here ,
Jan 24, 2017 Jan 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All -

I'm wondering what is the best way to turn a photograph into a black and white (or one color) vector type of illustration? I have found a few tutorials online, but nothing that is achieving the effect I am going for. I have attached a photo of what I am hoping to similarly achieve.

loren.jpb.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try various settings in Image Trace to see if something works, but most likely you'll have better results if you take your image into Photoshop first. Adjust your curves/levels/contrast until the features you want highlighted are the ones that remain. Then take that image into Illustrator and use Image Trace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any automatic functions will only be as good as the source image. Even by editing in Photoshop you can only improve what's already there.

A manual approach would be best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the photo in question?

It would then be easier to provide possible ways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'd start in PSD, using a "Threshold" adjustment layer on photo. The photo could be converted to a Smart Object and a Gaussian Blur Effect applied, to smooth out the edges. This method allows you to play with the amount of blur vs. Threshold to use to get the effect you're after. The resulting image can then be auto-traced in AI.

Screenshot 2017-01-24 16.13.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines